News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

DIETZ LITTLE WIZARD KEROSANE LANTERN WITH RED BELL SYSTEM GLOBE RAILROAD STYLE

Started by ....., December 27, 2018, 08:08:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Listed on eBay

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/DIETZ-LITTLE-WIZARD-KEROSANE-LANTERN-WITH-RED-BELL-SYSTEM-GLOBE-RAILROAD-STYLE/202549300540

DIETZ LITTLE WIZARD KEROSANE LANTERN WITH RED BELL SYSTEM GLOBE RAILROAD STYLE
This lantern is 11.5 inches tall. The base is 6.5 inches across. The blue on the lantern is in excellent condition, there are no dings or scratches. On the cap of the lantern, that holds the kerosene, it "DIETZ". Along the base of the lantern is DIETZ, N.Y.U.S.A., LITTLE WIZARD

The red globe has "BELL SYSTEM" frosted on the glass. It is approx. 3.75 inches tall and is approx. 12.25 circumference. There are no chips in this globe. It is in excellent condition.

This lantern will make a great addition to your collection.

TelePlay

Regular Member Post

The globe is worth the current price. The lantern, well, seem factory paint indicating it is post WW-II terne plating on steel which is showing signs of rust. I'd find a pre war tin plated steel Little Wizard, restore that and put the globe in that lantern.

They had to paint terne plated lanterns in that the plating alone did not hold up to moisture so rusted quickly. They also stopped stamping manufacturing plant and date made information into the air tubes since that would be filled in by the paint.

I don't know if the Bell System bought lanterns that did not have Bell System embossed in the fuel tank as well so the globe may have jsut been added at some time in the past.

I've never tried to restore (remove the rust) from a painted lantern since I didn't want to get into trying to match missing paint or paint the whole lantern. Too many pre-war lanterns out there that are better buys than painted lanterns, unless one just wanted to use the lantern instead of restore it. And this one the seller did not show the burner so its condition is unknown. Replacement burners and wicks run about $6 plus postage for the Little Wizard. All the other parts are there and the bottom looks good, no rust so no holes in the tank.

Shipping seems a bit high since these are quite light weight without fuel and the Little Wizard is 2/3rds the side of a No 2 full sized D-Lite lantern. It may sell with one snipe at the very end, if at all, IMHO.

Thanks for the info John.

I wasn't interested in it, but I knew there were some others here that may be. That's why I posted it.

I didn't know the value and thought that it may be a good catch for one of the cross over collectors.

It was even in the back of my mind if the globe real and not made up with one of the glass etching kits.

TelePlay

Regular Member Post

I just added general information about the lantern in case anyone was interested in buying it. Don't know what the rust removal technique I use would do to the paint around the rust areas.

Never thought about someone etching their own globe but knowing what is involved, personally I would dismiss that idea quickly. The masking and use of HF to etch the glass is beyond my desire to try that.

I've never had a Bell System globe and without having this one in hand for close inspection and comparison, virtually impossible to know from these images if it is real or a homebrew reproduction. Doug Rose had/has one so he might be better able to comment in the one that's for sale.

But, if someone had a fuel font stamped Bell System Little Wizard lantern with a plain or missing globe, this would complete that lantern and the value of the complete lantern would increased but not by the cost of this eBay listing.

US postage at $19 is high.

AL_as_needed

Its been a while since I have gotten back on here so I'm a bit out of the loop....anyway...

I agree with john, Dietz did often stamp names of cities/ departments, railroad, or company names into the metal body of the lantern for larger customers. This makes sense when the first thing to break is usually a globe if the lantern gets dropped. That being said some Vesta lanterns also have both the body and globe stamped with NYCRR. I have seen other lanterns same as this one with the Bell System globe before online, so they are out there. When why and how many they had, no clue.

I have a similar model Dietz Little Wizard stamped "City of Rochester" that had a red annealed  globe. If I recall correctly its late 50s. I used some fine steel wool and WD-40 to clear up some of the rust spots (didn't go full on molasses treatment on it).
TWinbrook7