News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Subset Questions

Started by Sargeguy, October 16, 2010, 11:15:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

I have taken apart my 534 DF subset to build a 634 out of it.  The 534 DF is a ringer box with no network.  I have taken some of the leftover parts from the 634YDT  I converted.  I am ready to proceed but I don't know which condenser to use.  Can I use one from a 302?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

bingster

Absolutely.  In fact, the later ones used that condenser as standard.
= DARRIN =

Sargeguy

What are the equivalent wire colors between the two types? I cannot get mine to ring.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

bingster

The wire colors were the same from the older type to the newer type. Check the 634/684 subset diagrams over here: http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=784.0

Just choose whichever diagram matches the induction coil you have (146A or 101A).  After making sure all your wiring is identical, it *should* work.  If it doesn't, then there may be another problem we need to sort out
= DARRIN =

Sargeguy

I meant the condenser wires, if i am using the condenser from a 302 the wire color do not match the              diagram.  I figured it out the last time by trial and error, but no such luck this time around.  I have it hooked up to the NID so REN should not be an issue.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

bingster

What colors are your wires, Sarge?  The only 302 I have handy has the usual black/red/yellow/slate condenser wire colors like the subset condensers have.
= DARRIN =

Sargeguy

Red
Yellow
Faded Yellow
Gray (slate or black)
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

bingster

The faded yellow is probably slate, while the gray is probably black. Gotta love faded wiring.
= DARRIN =

Phonesrfun

On a 195A capacitor, the original colors (before fading) were:

0.5 mF was for the ringer circuit and is on the slate and yellow wires

2.0mF was for the audio and is on the red and black wires.

Those fabric covered wires are notorious for fading.  I would agree with Bingster as to the probable colors as they appear today.
-Bill G

Sargeguy

Quote from: bingster on October 18, 2010, 07:38:11 PM
The faded yellow is probably slate, while the gray is probably black. Gotta love faded wiring.

Thats what I thought.  Still didn't work.  I will fiddle with it some other time.  It dials out and works okay (some dial tap), so I hooked it to the B-1 and shoved it under the buffet.  I can't have two ringing subsets at the same time anyway.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409