HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

MacGnG

that is very nice! i want it! but I'm sure my wife won't let me get another pay phone :(

Stan S

Every now and then the subject of whether or not ANY model 160 series 3-slot that is marked 'A' was actually manufactured by Western Electric comes up.  Granted, the embossing above the vault door no longer says 'Gray and Western Electric' however, the rest of the payphone appears to be identical to every other model made by Gray FOR Western Electric.

A very long time ago some guy with way too much free time on his hands wrote an article about the Western Electric 160 series 3-slots.
//http://www.atcaonline.com/WE160pay.html
Ignore everything after 'Fig 12' toward the end.  The rest is no longer valid.

Given all the misrepresented 'CRAP' that's being offered as original payphones on Ebay (some of it by so called 'well know collectors') the article has value for reference. Saying I don't know anything about payphones is no reason to get stuck with a worthless pile of junk.  Everything you need  to know about payphones is on the Internet, as a matter of public record. The only thing you have to know is how to access it.

Have a great Thanksgiving
Stan S.

RotarDad

Stan S. - I took the time to read thru your 160 article - great information there!  I now understand what the significance of these models is.  Thanks for putting that together.

Stan or Jim - I saw that Jim has a 169, which is a handset model.  Is this a 180 "prototype"?
Paul

Stan S

Paul
That payphone is a mystery. I couldn't find any official Bell System information about that model. Would be helpful if Jim posted inside pictures.
I'd like to see the stamping of the terminal designations on the switchhook/transfer contacts assembly.
Strange!

Payphone installer

I actually have 3 of these. So I thought i would post some pictures of some of the others i have picked up over the years.

Payphone installer

another one