"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Greetings from Northern Jersey

Started by fphearne, January 30, 2016, 02:41:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fphearne

Hi everyone,

Originally I'm from Queens, NY now in NJ. My interest in phones started back before my last year of HS. I remember the trimline wall phone that my parents had and was always fascinated by it. I studied to become an electrician and acquired my first phones from my shop teacher. I wanted to be a phone repairman but unfortunately never succeeded. Years later I lost the phones I had and never had the schematics on the wiring anyways.

Today I have quite a few phones that were purchased from eBay or otherwise acquired from other sources, and thanks to the internet and searching for telephone schematics have reached a milestone in my life by being able to wire a 565HKM back to its original state after modifying it. I am a member of C*NET and hopefully will be able to have my own phone system soon as with my other hobbies and interests they are also extensive and expensive.

I am in the process of building a relay control system for my 5 line phone to have the line indicators to light up and ring the ringer in the phone. I have a trimline phone, a blue 500, a few ivory and tan 500's and a raid roach phone my mother gave me years ago (no not a classic but only has pulse dialing). So I guess that's about all thanks.
Frankie

HarrySmith

Welcome ! You have found the best forum on the net!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Jim Stettler

Quote from: fphearne on January 30, 2016, 02:41:44 PM
Hi everyone,

Originally I'm from Queens, NY now in NJ. My interest in phones started back before my last year of HS. I remember the trimline wall phone that my parents had and was always fascinated by it. I studied to become an electrician and acquired my first phones from my shop teacher. I wanted to be a phone repairman but unfortunately never succeeded. Years later I lost the phones I had and never had the schematics on the wiring anyways.

Today I have quite a few phones that were purchased from eBay or otherwise acquired from other sources, and thanks to the internet and searching for telephone schematics have reached a milestone in my life by being able to wire a 565HKM back to its original state after modifying it. I am a member of C*NET and hopefully will be able to have my own phone system soon as with my other hobbies and interests they are also extensive and expensive.

I am in the process of building a relay control system for my 5 line phone to have the line indicators to light up and ring the ringer in the phone. I have a trimline phone, a blue 500, a few ivory and tan 500's and a raid roach phone my mother gave me years ago (no not a classic but only has pulse dialing). So I guess that's about all thanks.

Welcome to the forum.
Your off to a good start. Your raid phone is  actually a pretty nice advertising telephone to own.

JMO,
Jim S..
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

jsowers

Welcome to the Forum! New York City, or at least Manhattan, had some of the most unusal and interesting Exchange or Central Office names back when phone numbers were alphanumeric. Phone numbers that began with names like GRamercy and MUrray Hill and PLaza told you what part of the city they were from. A collection specializing in phones from NYC would be nice to see. I have one or two--not enough to be worthy of a display.

I remember the first Trimline I ever saw, at my uncle's house in 1969. The dial was lit too. It was moss green with a 6' cord. The little dial was fascinating to me. Wish I had that phone today. Even my aunt collects phones, but she doesn't have that one.

Good luck in your collecting and please post some pictures of your phones.
Jonathan

AE_Collector

Welcome to the Classic Rotary Phone Forum, CRPF for short.

It isnt difficult to find original equipment that lived in the telephone room to make your keyset work just like it did in the 60's and 70's. There is some info on 1A2 systems lurking in the switching section on the forum. Have fun!

Terry

Doug Rose

Welcome Frankie....this is the place to be for Telephone Collectors....Doug
Kidphone

fphearne

Thank you Harry, Jim, Jonathan, Terry, and Doug for your welcomes. And I will post pics of my phones as soon as I can Jonathan.
Frankie

Mr. Bones

Frankie,

Welcome to the forum!

I'm looking forward to your contributions. The 5-line relay project certainly sounds interesting to me. I have several 5-line phones, but will probably never have room for a key system.

Please keep us posted, we wants pictures! ;)

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Mr. Bones on January 30, 2016, 08:55:19 PM
Frankie,

Welcome to the forum!

I'm looking forward to your contributions. The 5-line relay project certainly sounds interesting to me. I have several 5-line phones, but will probably never have room for a key system.

Please keep us posted, we wants pictures! ;)

Best regards!

Never say never, a shoebox KSU is bigger than a shoebox and smaller than a microwave. Every collector can find room to put one.

Just something to keep in mind.

JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.