News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What is bakelite

Started by Kenny C, February 22, 2010, 09:49:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenny C

I am new to this and I have heard alot about of bakelite what is it.
??? ???
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Phonesrfun

Kenny:

It's the stuff some old telephone handsets, mouthpieces and covers are made of.  It is a resin-based early form of plastic that was popular in the 30's and 40's in phone parts, radio cabinets and a lot of other things.

The best link for the information is found at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bakelite

It was brittle and people who buy old phones on e-Bay are frequently lamenting at the fact that a seller who has no clue as to its tendency to break, assumes it is standard plastic, and the buyer gets a box full of shattered parts.  This is particularly the case in Kellogg and older AE sets.  Western Electric, wisely so, stayed away from Bakelite, except for handsets.  Those almost never break because they are not thin.

-Bill Geurts
-Bill G

Kenny C

I have a 1955 kellogg, the hand set is realy heavy would it be made of bakelite
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

LarryInMichigan

Kenny,

Yes, it almost certainly is.  Is it a G1 style or the older curvy type?

Larry

McHeath

The handset will say what model it is on the label in the center.  (At least the older ones do)  So it should say "G1" or "G3" along with Western Electric and Made in USA.

JorgeAmely

Hi Kenny:

Bakelite is a thermoset: once cast, it cannot be melted to be cast into another plastic part. You can think of it as concrete. What makes it shiny is a thin layer of plastic that coats the mold before they inject it with the bakelite compound.

Tenite and ABS are thermoplastics: once cast, it can be melted into another shape. Unlike bakelite, it is homogeneous all the way through, so if you find a defect, you can sand it lightly, polish it and regain the luster it originally had.

Jorge

Kenny C

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Steve

If you're a long way from home,
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,
Something just ain't right.

Kenny C

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Kenny C

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Steve

Quote from: Kennyc1955 on February 23, 2010, 02:05:38 AM
I am 13

Whoops.

You sure threw me a curve on that response.

curvy handsets are the best. don't you agree?
If you're a long way from home,
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,
Something just ain't right.

foots

When I was 13 I loved curves. I do prefer the "curvy" handset on the Kelloggs - they're very stylish.
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

Phonesrfun

Quote from: McHeath on February 22, 2010, 11:47:37 PM
The handset will say what model it is on the label in the center.  (At least the older ones do)  So it should say "G1" or "G3" along with Western Electric and Made in USA.

I think he said it was a Kellogg.  They often had no markings, except for the ring around the transmitter cap had embossed in it the "Kellogg Switchboard and Supply Company".

-Bill Geurts
-Bill G

LarryInMichigan

Kenney,

Does the handset look like this?

Dan/Panther

Larry;
Yes, but they don't have that handle connecting them in the middle.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson