News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AECo Bakelite Era Phones - Base Codes & Patent Numbers Survey

Started by AE_Collector, October 02, 2011, 09:32:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AE_Collector

Hey thanks for the survey info DNO. I will add it to my excel sheet. One day it will hopefully help solve some of the AE coding mystery.

Terry

Babybearjs

does anyone know if AE had a color code for the Polished brass and Polished Chrome accents?? John
John

AE_Collector

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the base codes indicated gold or chrome trim but I haven't figured that out yet.

Terry

wds

I just got this on Ebay.  Very early model 40, grooved bakelite handset rings, no carry bar, plunger blocks do not have the holes for the butler handle either.  Attached is the survey sheet.  Very early patent dates.  Great shape - I'll post a picture of it after I've polished it up.  Seems to be a common theme with one of the codes - GH.  Wonder what that stands for.
Dave

AE_Collector

Thanks for the info sheet Dave. Great deal on that AE 40! The grooved bakelite handset caps aren't seen in captivity very often.

ANOTHER project for me to get back at soon!  It appears that the 4020 code in this instance follows the production dates somewhat, IE 4000 would be very early and that number incremented well into the 41xx range eventually. I am not certain if it "rolled over" from 4099 to 4100 or if there was a substantial change that bumped the number to 4100 at some point. Then with all the refurbishing of phones over the years anything could have bee nreplaced or upgraded further complicating things.  

I have occasionally seen instances like this one where the GH portion of the Base Code matches the GH on the dial or Trans/Rcvr Capsules. Almost seems like date codes or production model numbers of some sort.

If anyone else has the time to fill in one of these info sheets on any of their AE bakelite era phones please do. I enter all the info into an Excel sheet sheet with the hopes of one day having enough info there to at lest partially decipher some of the coding.

Terry

AE_Collector

I keep deciding that more info should be collected to get a complete picture of how these phones are equipped. I have now decided to collect the actual Patent numbers on each phone where the are available and add them to the Excel sheet as well. I grabbed all 11 Patent numbers off of your 40 Dave and will attempt to collect them going forward.

Terry

Babybearjs

Terry, just what do all the base codes on the AE phone mean.... I have never been able to figure out the codes except for the color codes... the AE 40's and 50's have the hardest to figure out... all I know is the "ESL" for Straightline Ringer... what the rest for....
John

wds

I have one correction for the survey on my phone - I thought it had the white number plate with black letters, but it turns out to be silver metal plate with black numbers.  Really cleaned up nice. 
Dave

AE_Collector

Quote from: Babybearjs on October 10, 2013, 04:33:08 PM
Terry, just what do all the base codes on the AE phone mean.... I have never been able to figure out the codes except for the color codes... the AE 40's and 50's have the hardest to figure out... all I know is the "ESL" for Straightline Ringer... what the rest for....

Yes that is just about as much as I can decipher as well John. SL is generally Straight Line as in the ringer. In place of the SL can be a number as well which usually is referring to the frequency of ringers if not a SL ringer.

The A in AO is likely referring to the Dial Number Plate where A = Numbers Only, B = Dial Blank/Less Dial & C = Numbers & Letters Dial.

Lots and LOTS of Unknown stuff yet though.

Terry

AE_Collector

Quote from: wds on October 10, 2013, 08:10:15 PM
it turns out to be silver metal plate with black numbers.  Really cleaned up nice.  

I have seen that once before (silver background on the number plate). No idea if it was a war measures thing but it might be. Your phone is definitely a candidate to have been a war time phone.

<edit> Here is the other silver number plate dial. It is in this thread but back a page from Richard "mst269". Does your number plate look like this one Dave?

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=5514.msg90628#msg90628

Terry

wds

Similar plate - mine is black on the back.  Definitely aluminum.
Dave

wds

I just got another one.  Another early one, no handle or hole in the plungers.  Cut away fingerwheel was worth the price of the phone.  I'll post pictures when it arrives.
Dave

AE_Collector

Base Cord looks a little...um....err....Crunchy?

Great deal with the cut away FW.

Terry

wds

See attached Survey Form.  Similar numbers as the previous phone, except XL instead of GH
Dave

wds

3rd phone.  I'm pretty sure I added the chrome fingerwheel and chrome bands.  I may have switched out the entire handset, but I can't remember.  The rest of it should be original.
Dave