News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Antique Typewriter service?

Started by Nilsog, December 14, 2011, 09:32:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nilsog

I picked up an old Remington Rand model 5 portable typewriter this past weekend. It's in good shape but it does need some service, theres minor rust and a lot of dust inside gumming it up. Does anyone know if theres somewhere I could send it for a cleaning that wouldn't charge me an arm and a leg? And in lieu of that, are there any guides on how to dismantle and clean it myself without destroying it? I've done some searches but I'm coming up short so I thought I'd see what you guys had for knowledge. Thanks.
Ken

HarrySmith

There is an old thread on the forum here. A quick Google search comes up with this. There is also an Early Typewriter Collectors Association.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

bigdaddylove

I have used CLP to loosen up the gunk and whatnot from my vintage portable; worked pretty well.

bingster

There's no need to send a typewriter out for service if it only needs a good clean and lubrication.  Just use a couple small paint brushes and rags to thoroughly dust the interior parts, then oil with 3-in-1 or something similar.   The oil will stop the rust, too.  

If you do need some sort of serious service, look in the phone book for typewriter repair.  You'll find somebody local who can do it, rather than you having to pay a small fortune to ship a heavy machine.
= DARRIN =