News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Greetings from Nova Scotia

Started by Bridie, October 31, 2013, 06:40:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bridie

Hi everyone! My name is Bridget and I'm in Halifax, Nova Scotia.  Years ago I was given a 1931 WE 202 and am in the initial stages of trying to restore it.  It's proving a bit of a challenge from the beginning and I'll be posting photos and asking for advice in another section.  I'll probably need ALOT of advice!  :o  I had planned initially to just "make it pretty" as I don't have a landline, but today thanks to this forum I discovered the beauty of a bluetooth gateway, so I now think I'll take it further to try to get the 202 operational to use via my iphone in my apartment.

I have a love of old phones (anything from the 30s and 40s, really) and have set my heart on an AE 40 (black with chrome rings and fingerwheel woohoo) when I get my 202 sorted out.

I'm really pleased to be part of this forum and look forward to learning alot from you guys!  :)
Bridget

HarrySmith

Hi Bridget :) Welcome to the forum!
Don't do it! Get rid of the phone, now! Phonitis is a progressive disease with no known cure! It will not stop at this phone or the AE 40, it will go on & on. Soon you will want another color or another manufacturer or another year. How about a birthday phone, dates matching to the day you were born? Don't forget all the stuff to go with your phone, tools, manuals, phone books, ads, the list goes on & on. You will end up spending all your money and all your spare time on phones! ;D
Ain't it great!! Seriously it is a wonderful obsession...err hobby.... to get into and you have found the best forum on the net. Everyone here is willing to help and give all thier knowledge and experience which adds up to quite a lot!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

DavePEI

Quote from: Bridie on October 31, 2013, 06:40:27 PM
Hi everyone! My name is Bridget and I'm in Halifax, Nova Scotia.  Years ago I was given a 1931 WE 202 and am in the initial stages of trying to restore it.  It's proving a bit of a challenge from the beginning and I'll be posting photos and asking for advice in another section.  I'll probably need ALOT of advice!  :o  I had planned initially to just "make it pretty" as I don't have a landline, but today thanks to this forum I discovered the beauty of a bluetooth gateway, so I now think I'll take it further to try to get the 202 operational to use via my iphone in my apartment.

I have a love of old phones (anything from the 30s and 40s, really) and have set my heart on an AE 40 (black with chrome rings and fingerwheel woohoo) when I get my 202 sorted out.

I'm really pleased to be part of this forum and look forward to learning alot from you guys!  :)

Hi Bridget from across the Northumberland Strait! Welcome to the Forum. If you are ever over on the Island, you should stop in and see the museum!

Phoneitis is contagious - I got it when I was young, and now 45 some years later, I still have it! Oddly, the older you get, the harder it seems to hit!

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Contempra

Hi bridie...Phoneitis is contagious yes !.. welcome to this forum, take a chair, sit down and look the forum and his posts.. Probably this forum has a lot of  things for you about your phone (s)...;)

tallguy58

Greetings from another Canuck.

Long live Northern Electric phones!!        (Western ones, too) :D
Cheers........Bill

AE_Collector

Oh what the heck, if we can get rid of Harry (just kidding Harry, you know I'm not serious) we can  rename this the Canucks Roll Call. Vancouver reporting in here...

Terry

Contempra

Tallguy is a Vancouver canucks.......my wife is Montréal canadian  :D

dsk

tallguy58

Hold on a minute here!!

No Canuck fan here. I grew up in Hab Land. Cote-St-Luc. (now in T.O)

Les Glorieux won the cup ON my 11th birthday, in 1969. (thank you John Ferguson)

That automatically qualifies me for lifetime fandom.

Go Habs Go!!  ;D ;D
Cheers........Bill

Contempra

Quote from: tallguy58 on November 01, 2013, 05:01:02 PM
Hold on a minute here!!

No Canuck fan here. I grew up in Hab Land. Cote-St-Luc. (now in T.O)

Les Glorieux won the cup ON my 11th birthday, in 1969. (thank you John Ferguson)

That automatically qualifies me for lifetime fandom.

Go Habs Go!!  ;D ;D

okayyyyyyyy !... :D

Bridie

Thanks for the greetings everyone, much appreciated.  I have to agree with the warnings of phonitis.  I've been catching myself drooling over old telephones on Ebay lately and have to keep repeating "No new telephones til I've restored the one I have..."  I can't decide if I like the old North Electric Galion the best, or the Northern Electric Uniphone #1 or the Automatic Electric 34 or the Western Electric 302....I suppose I could always just buy one of each LOL  Right now I've put my WE aside to finish restoring an old 1930s bed, but I hope to tackle the phone after xmas.

DavePEI I'll definitely be stopping by the museum next time I'm over on the Island.  I've seen the photos on the website - it would be amazing to see all those phones!
Bridget

Matilo Telephones

Welcome Bridget! Don´t mind what they are saying. It´s too late anyway. Once you´ve registered for this forum, you have passed the point of no return.
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones

Russ Kirk

- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

WesternElectricBen

Guess I'm a little late to the party on welcoming you to the forum!

To be honest, phoneitus is pretty bad, but for some reason I can be completely immune.

BEn

Contempra