News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

N717CG questions from a new member

Started by jhutzler, November 08, 2014, 02:01:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dsk

I agree in that, first find out how it is wired now, then try to get it beck to original. Then we should work on how to make it perfect for your use.

The capacitors are unpolorized. The voice capacitor (2.2) are nearly a minimum to not reduse the volume to much. (this one are not needed for testing)

The original capacitor should have a 1 microfarad who are used are actually a little to small, but was chosen since "size matters"  ;D for the ringer the unused 2/2 microfarad cap are probably more suitable.

If you do as I sketched in the diagram, the DC will follow the yellow line.

Should be good enough. A holding coil would be good solution too, high resistance against voice, but letting som DC trough are the idea, a relay with coil resistance of at least 100 ohms could be tested. In that case we have to make another diagram ;D

dsk

jhutzler

Thanks Dsk,

I'm gonna try this circuit out asap. For now I want to thank all of you for helping me out and I will post again with regards to the AE50 I bought after I have retraced the wiring to make sure I haven't done anything silly.

Cheers,

Jeff

Max

Hi everyone, I hope it's ok to bump this old thread. I'm trying to do the same thing as the original poster: I have a long dormant N717CG that I'd like to connect to a modern phone line. I've mostly followed the wiring diagram posted by dsk, moving the red ringer wire from C1 to C2 and connecting the line wires as he indicated. I'm pleased to report that the phone works! It rings when a call comes in, and I'm able to pick up the handset and talk to the caller. However, I see some discussion here about adding a capacitor somewhere, and it has me a bit confused. Is this something I need to do, and if so, how? I'm also not sure what I'm supposed to do where those red lines are in his diagram; is that where a capacitor should be added? (I circled that spot in yellow so you can see what I'm referring to.) Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

dsk

The capacitor in the yellow ring will protect your receiver, but how important it will be is something we never will aggree about in this forum ;D

Max

Got it, thanks. Now for a stupid question: how would I go about installing a capacitor there? I do have some experience working with capacitors in other types of electronics, but that usually involves soldering them to a circuit board.