News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Dial screws

Started by jwurbel, December 24, 2014, 09:01:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwurbel

In restoring I misplaced the 3 dial mounting screws for my AE 34 rotary dial.  Can anyone tell me the correct size for replacement?  I tried the local ACE but no luck.  Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas to all!

Phonesrfun

Probably the same as WE which is a round head 4/36 x 1/4.  One of the guys more familiar with AE can confirm.  Several here might have some for sale if that is correct.
-Bill G

TelePlay

Quote from: Phonesrfun on December 24, 2014, 09:17:44 PM
Probably the same as WE which is a round head 4/36 x 1/4.  One of the guys more familiar with AE can confirm.  Several here might have some for sale if that is correct.

They are not standardized across companies. I have several replacement dials, AE & WE. A few were missing screws and I discovered there are two screw sizes, thread pitch is the difference, IIRC. I know others can name them off the top of their head but I'll have to search for the post. If you have an AE dial, you may need a set of both to make sure at least one set works.

----------

Post search edit:

I found this in a PM sent by me to another member last June and that members reply. I was right. It was pitch.

Found a topic about dial mounting screws on the forum. Seems they are all the same (4-36) but in different lengths except for North Electric phones which use a different thread pitch - not stated. I must have a North dial and an AE dial on my bench because screws from one work, but not the other

And the reply from the member I sent the PM to back then.

"Yeah I was thinking 4-36 but then second guessing myself at 4-40. AE made dials for others as well so different threads is a possibility I guess. I virtually never restore anything so don't get too involved in stuff like that!

I think this is about all I know, other than getting some 4-40s locally from Fastenal (they carry both 4-36 and 4-40 in different lengths and head styles.

jwurbel

Thanks for the replies.  The 4-40's worked.