News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

D1 Statuary Bronze? just sold on eBay

Started by TelePlay, October 20, 2016, 01:53:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

Anyone watch this? I went in with an opening bid and thought I would get stuck with the phone. I had the only bid for more than 6 days. And then it popped up over $100. So what was it?

Based on the condition and the selling price, it could have been a Statuary Bronze, but is it? And, if so, was that a deal?

Looked rattle can painted to me, but I'm probably wrong on that.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Old-Bell-Telephone-Oval-Base-1930s-Desk-Phone-Western-Electric-Office-/201689244630

poplar1

I'm not sure what color it is, but I believe it was painted by the WE repair shop, circa 1940.

>The F1- handset is brown Bakelite, ungrooved, typical of painted WE handsets before 1955.
>The baseplate cover is black
>The twill weave cords with rubber conductors were probably made between 1936 and 1941.
>The dates on the transmitter and receiver are 1939-1940.
>Metallic color 202s and 302s continued to use 4H or 5H dials with matching cases and finger wheels even in 1937 and afterward, despite the use of 4J and 5J dials   with stainless finger wheels on ivory, pekin red, gray-green, dark blue and old rose sets.

The only baseplate assemblies for D1 mountings listed as black in a 1941 BSP are for the Oxidized Silver and Pekin Red.
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=11902.msg126566#msg126566

It's obviously not Pekin Red, so is it Oxidized Silver? What color are the cords?

Oxidized Silver sets had gray (--5) cords in 1931 and 1935, and Silver (--8) cords in 1941.
They had gray (--5) number cards in 1934, and gray (--5) masks in 1941.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

unbeldi

I was watching this and thought the color was oxidized silver.
I think the best hint of that is the silver-colored primer, perhaps a rhodium plate, under the finish. Notice that this plate is also present inside the housing, being date stamped afterward, so it is probably original factory work. It could have been re-finished later, just the top coat, when the handset was changed.
I have the impression that this is authentic WECo paint.

Statuary Bronze should not have a silver tint, but should be mostly brown.

I owned an officially named 'smoke-silver' Daimler-Benz one time and it had a very similar color, just a lot shinier, lol.

rdelius

Note the shading.Not something you could do with a rattlecan.

19and41

That looks like the kind of paint used on stage props or display props.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Doug Rose

I bid on it as it had a nice 4h and a brown seamless F1. Finish was tough and I was surprised to see it go over $100. I think it was the real deal, oxidized silver.....Doug
Kidphone