and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Sometimes You Bite the Bear Part V

Started by Doug Rose, November 05, 2011, 03:03:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Quote from: AE_collector on November 06, 2011, 12:42:58 AM
Quote from: Doug Rose on November 05, 2011, 09:46:19 PM
GG....to paraphrase Chong or was it Cheech......Dave's Not Me Man! Whoa, am I dating myself! Remember the Album with the huge album size rolling paper.....  But I digress....Dave.....I mean.... Doug

No....you are "Other Dave"

And that housing looks like a candidate for the "Bad Shipper" thread! maybe it wasn't busted until they mailed it to you but you didn't care, you were so happy to get the complete North dial.

Chong
Hey Terry....It was advertised as broken, I just wanted the dial. Handset and cords were a bonus.....thanks...Doug
Kidphone

GG

"Dave's not me man!", yeah they were two very funny guys, and suffice to say I heard those skits at an age far too early to be listening to them.  However my truly abysmal memory for names comes from my genes, and goes back at least two generations that I'm aware of.  Must be a jumper in my brain that's screwed down to the wrong terminal:-)

AE_Collector

Quote from: GG on November 06, 2011, 12:37:56 PM

Must be a jumper in my brain that's screwed down to the wrong terminal:-)

Might not be quite that serious, it could be a wire partially under the screw terminal next to it so it is intermittently shorting to that terminal.

Terry

kleenax

Quote from: Doug Rose on November 05, 2011, 04:56:44 PM
Remco...I have left the spacer on so I don't lose it. 4 44....it's a war dial....thanks...Doug

Just a note here about these 3" North dials while on this thread: They also come with a swaged-on stainless fingerwheel (which I think is the coolest looking). Additionally, you won't find many "dial guyss" that like them at all! If you look at the back of that dial, you will notice that little black bakelite "pawl". Well, that pawl is notorious for falling off and becoming lost. The "hidden" governor is also another area of question.

I sent about 20 of them to Steve Hilsz for him to use for parts, and I still have a bunch of them. But yes, I do like them too. Oh, and there are 2 different varieties (sizes) of the black plastic fingerwheels too.
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

GG

Terry - Yeah, intermittent contact; need to search for bridged terminals.  Or a loose screw, heh:-)

Ray -

if by "swaged" you mean stuck on there in a manner that can't be removed, then yep I have one of "those" North dials.  There's a number 50 and a number 1-31 on the back, the latter I assume is the date.  It needs a new set of off-normal contacts (the existing appear to have taken a high-voltage hit and partially melted), a new pulse cam (the edges appear to have been filed to make the pawl catch better because sometimes it jams), and possibly a new pawl (in case it's the cause of the jams).  

As of yesterday I have the North phone that this dial belongs in, with a dial blank, so there's my incentive to get the dial fixed.  

So now I have two to send to Steve: this one and one of those European "early Western Electric" types, 7013B.  The latter needs its mainspring fixed and ideally a forward-numbered numberplate made, and to have the pulse cam's long break on digit 1 filed down to an acceptable break ratio.  (I just tested this on a Panasonic PBX: normally the PBX is pretty tolerant of weird pulse ratios, but that long break on digit 1 does not route correctly.)

BTW, Gary had an Extensicord on display yesterday, marked "not for sale."  I have a couple of those and they turn up from time to time on Ebay, so I asked if there was something rare or different about that one.

He said it was because *you* made that one.

Holy cow.  Dude, all I can say is, you're magic.  That cord is like 100% perfect, indistinguishable from original AE.  

AE_Collector

yeah, I haven't heard anything lately about Ray's Cords. What is the scoop Ray? Still making them?

Terry

kleenax

Quote from: AE_collector on November 07, 2011, 02:01:18 AM
yeah, I haven't heard anything lately about Ray's Cords. What is the scoop Ray? Still making them?

Terry

Yes, I can still "make" them, but unfortunately, I have been so busy with 2 huge casting jobs (Proctor & Gamble and the Mayo Clinic!) that I haven't even had time to work on any phone stuff. And to complicate things, it takes me a good 3 hours to make one.
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC