News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Phone Nook Project

Started by tallguy58, October 11, 2014, 02:45:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tallguy58

Well after many months of on and off work, the hallway phone nook is finished.

All the houses on my street were built in 1929 and featured a phone nook. When I bought the place I had a NE 233 payphone that I figure would look great in there.

I removed the middle shelf and bottom panel so it would fit. Of course I put them in a safe place for future use. So safe in fact, I have no idea where they ended up.

I never took a photo of my nook before I modified it but my neighbour has the identical one. His as well as mine still have the witness mark from a 293 style wooden phone. Screw holes line up and even a trace of the old line cord that goes up the middle.

Here's mine with the 233 installed. You can still see the outline of the old 293/393 above the coin slots.

I never found the old shelf and panel so I had to make new ones. I used my neighbour's as a template. (sorry no pics)
My old nook still had the original line cord attached with a wooden wire clamp but it was thrown out so I made one of those as well.

Drill, cut, fit

Stained it and I found a period screw that would work. I never threw out any hardware when I renovated this place.

Cheers........Bill

tallguy58

I found a 393 locally on eBay that I picked up which is what led me to doing this project. I wanted to put the nook back to the way it was back in the day.

I stripped, sanded and re-stained and varnished the wood.

Now it was time to reinstall the phone as it was all those years ago.

I found some neat looking hardware in my bucket. Used the original 70 year old holes.

Got a new line cord from OPW and installed it.

Drilled a hole in the shelf before I installed it to route the cord.

From underneath the shelf

Ran it down the same path as the original. Those holes are from the payphone.

Clamp in place

Cheers........Bill

tallguy58

Installed the bottom panel which I figure was for the phone book or mail.

Phone and shelf in place

Complete nook as it is now

As nice as it turned out it still needed something. I found this at a service station memorabilia auction.

Looks like an authentic one, not a repro.

It's just the right size for above the nook.

NOW it's complete.

Cheers........Bill

WEBellSystemChristian

Ver, very nice! I was a little dissapointed when you first removed the shelf and 'mail' area, but then you re-installed the shelf and put a beautiful phone in place!

Once again, nice job!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

tallguy58

Thanks. Knowing how long it took me to strip and refinish the nook I probably have another 10 years worth of work doing the rest of the wood in here. Doors, trim, railings. etc.  :o :o
Cheers........Bill

WesternElectricBen

I would love to have a nook like that somewhere in our house, or even in my bedroom. I have even considered making one, but I think the idea would be objected from my parents.

The phone looks very natural inside, I especially like that cord retainer that you stained nicely to match the cabinet and the pristine cloth cord running down. It looks brand new!

Ben

AE_Collector

Very nice job Bill. That looks great.

Now I know what you were wanting help with posting on the forum so that you could write text at each picture.

Terry