"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

This was heavy for what I thought was a WE desk phone

Started by shortrackskater, September 20, 2017, 07:03:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shortrackskater

Just arrived and bought on eBay...
It's still on my bench at home. I was expecting to see a run of the mill WE302 or similar, but the box was HEAVY! I opened it up and am delighted to see a metal case WE. It dials smoothly as well. I'll be home later and take it apart to see what I have.
More pictures coming.
Mark J.

AL_as_needed

Nice catch! Always impressive when the dial moves smoothly despite the outside appearances of a phone like that. How much did that one get you for?
TWinbrook7

shortrackskater

$19 plus $14 shipping from Maryland to California. He threw in an external round bell as well.
Just for the heck of it, I wired the red and green to my landline and it works and dials out! The audio is great. But, it doesn't ring! I don't know the history of this phone but I suspect a wiring issue with the ringer. Here's some more pictures. Apparently it's a 302 E/G.
Mark J.

Ktownphoneco

Great find, good for you.   It appears that the ringer is wired for ground ringing.    Try moving the red wire inside the little red box I drew on your photo, to "L1" on the induction coil.   Just re-tighten the terminal screw and leave the yellow ground wire right there.     It's as good a place as any to store it.

Jeff Lamb

shortrackskater

Thanks Jeff!
I'd done that in previous wiring jobs... my long day is making my brain fade. And thanks for the picture too.  I try right now.
This would be a first, if this phone works completely after one wiring change.  I'm happy it has the metal case too. I was expecting to see it with the usual cracks in front. Nice to NOT see those!
Stand by...
Mark J.

shortrackskater

Works! And the ringer sounds very nice too. This is a first - a working phone after just one wiring change. Everything works well... good receiver, good transmitter. I don't believe this phone was opened. If it was, maybe once or twice. It looks literally untouched inside.
So now will start the exterior cleaning.
I'm sure I can find it here. but can anyone tell me more about this phone? Does the E/G designate the metal type?
Although this phone appears untouched... the date on the receiver is 1946, but the receiver cap is 1937!. The transmitter is wired in... strange, and the cap is 1956. Hmmmm....
Mark J.

poplar1

302 "E/G" means the same base could be used for a 302E (non-dial) or 302G (dial with letters and figures), both with 3-conductor mounting cord (line cord).

1153 and 458 are date stamps when the telephone company-owned phone was sent back to the Western Electric Distributing House to be refurbished for another lease customer. Note the "58L" on the dial governor; that means the dial was lubricated in 1958.

The cords and dial number plate were the first things to wear out, so they were probably replaced either at the WE repair shop or by a installer/repairman onsite.

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

shortrackskater

Interesting, thank you!
The line cord and receiver cord look good. When I cut the line cord to put in some tabs, I was expecting it to be rotted but it's not ... clean and strong. The wire is that "fabric" style ... I don't know the name for it, but after cutting an inch, it looks new.

Since this was such an easy "fix," I decided to clean it up. I had a spare plastic center cover and stuck it on. Decided I wanted the Bell symbol instead, and promptly broke the ring about one minute after this shot was taken. Oh well... it was free anyway, thrown in with the real metal one that I bought. I will now buy another!
Even the feet were in decent shape. I dampened them with water and then used a brush and they look fine for me.
Seems this phone just may not have been used much, or was used gently it's entire life, other than the coat of gooey (probably nicotine) film all over it.
Mark J.

Pourme

Very nice workhorse of a phone. Metal prewar 302 is a good find!I have yet to run across one my self. Good find & it cleaned up nicely!

Benny
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

HarrySmith

Looks great! Congrats on a very nice metal 302. You can try reversing the coils on the handset cord to tighten it up a little, that will improve the appearance even more.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

shortrackskater

Thanks everyone.
The funny thing is I HAD a metal 302 a few years ago but, for whatever reason, I haven't developed the interest in phones yet - well - in  fixing them I mean. The one I had was in beautiful shape but had no dial. So I sold it on eBay. I was happy to find one again, accidentally (since it wasn't listed as "metal" I was expecting the usual tenite) and with the dial as well.
Mark J.

19and41

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

oldguy

Nice find. I have trouble passing up a good deal on a 302. So I have quite a few. The last metal one I bought was on craigslist for $30. I had planned on trying to talk him down on the price but It ended up I knew the guy, so I payed the full price. I picked up a fully functional non metal one at a yard sale a couple of months ago for $10. simple fixes usually make them work correctly. I also like the feel of a metal 302. Keep them around. If someone breaks into the house, one good hit with a metal 302 & they won't be breaking into houses anymore😀😀
Gary

shortrackskater

Quote from: oldguy on September 21, 2017, 03:13:12 PM
I also like the feel of a metal 302. Keep them around. If someone breaks into the house, one good hit with a metal 302 & they won't be breaking into houses anymore😀😀

Yes one good hit and their head would be ringing!  :D
If I had know this was metal I probably would have paid closer to his asking price, but I make a few "make best offers" and settled at $19. The listing only mentioned "heavy and old" so I just assumed it was the standard 302 since, compared to a "new" phone, they are somewhat heavy.
Today I'll be conditioning the original leather feet on it. And maybe I'll try the coiled cord inversion trick. I think this phone was a 4 pack a day smoker!
Mark J.

andy1702

The coiled cord inversion is a good trick if the cord is stretched fairly evenly. I disconnect mine and soak in hot soapy water to clean them, then while still warm invert the coils in the cord. It should come out both clean and tight.

By the way, where do you get those dial rings? Plastic or metal would do. I've got a couple of 500s that need them but they are pretty much impossible to find in the UK at a sensible price.
Call me on C*net 0246 81 290 from the UK
or (+44) 246 81 290 from the rest of the world.

For telephone videos search Andys Shed on Youtube.