News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 20-B / 20-AL Candlestick Microphone

Started by soundsystems, May 10, 2015, 10:49:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

soundsystems

I recently acquired this candlestick microphone (I think it was used with an amateur radio transmitter).  It has a 20-B marking stamped out and a 20-AL on the front side.  It has holes drilled in the switch hook (I'm guessing there was a push-to-talk tab at one time).  I'd like to back-convert this to a proper 2-piece telephone.  Please share your thoughts about proper switch hook, transmitter, receiver, etc...  Thanks in advance!  -Jason

Ktownphoneco

Jason   .....     I think whoever owned the set prior to you, tried to convert it to "something", perhaps a microphone.        Now I can't see the hook switch pile up as well as I'd like, but it appears to be missing one spring switch.          The desk stands that were actually made to be used as microphones, had a "reverse" switch hook pile up, or at least that's what I call them.
The switch hook on a telephone works opposite to that of a microphone.      If the normal receiver hook on a telephone is down, as it is with the receiver hanging in it, the switch pile up circuit is open.          When the receiver is lifted from the hook, the switches close, placing the telephone in the off hook position.
On a desk stand which has been manufactured as a microphone, rather than a telephone, the receiver hook is replaced with a "push to talk" (ptt) button.      When the ptt button is in the rest position (up) (non transmit) and the spring switches inside are in the open position.      When the dispatcher, or whoever uses the microphone transmits, he or she pushes down on the ptt button, closing the circuit.        In a desk stand made as a microphone, that long spring switch is on top of the pile-up, and in a telephone, it's at the bottom of the pile-up right next to (but not touching) the rack.      Northern Electric made a large number of microphones during WWII for the RCAF training schools across the country, and that's how they were constructed.      I'd imagine Western made their microphones in a similar manner.

Jeff Lamb

soundsystems

Hi Jeff, and thanks for the reply!  It was definitely used as a microphone.  I am familiar with microphone wiring, as I am both a ham radio operator (N3JAW) and the owner of a commercial audio system contracting firm of 20 years.  I am almost certain it was used in conjunction with a Gates HF phone (voice) transmitter.  My goal is to convert it into a proper 20-AL telephone with bipolar receiver and switch hook.  I'd also like to remove the bulldog transmitter and replace it with a proper one.  -Jason

Ktownphoneco

Hi Jason   ....  It's certainly worth the effort to restore it back to it's original condition.    The set was most likely a 20-B based on the perch design.    The one piece transmitter cup and lug, is most likely off a later 20-AL.      The earlier 20-B's had that perch, but also a separate lug and transmitter cup.       You should be able to find a faceplate, bridge and carbon button assembly.       They come up on eBay periodically.

Jeff