News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Info needed on NE with 20-T. Frankenphone?

Started by Landshark, October 14, 2015, 11:59:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Landshark

Hi, recent purchase and just looking for more info on a all nickle candlestick phone.  Has 20-T stamped on back of perch which I found searching this site refers to an "interphone" and associated with Western Electric". I'll assume that mean used as intercom in an office?

The transmitter has no other markings other than the small plate held on by two rivits which says "THE NORTHERN ELECTRIC & MFG CO LIMITED".  Nothing on the back of the faceplate or the base. The transmitter cup is regular type, does not have the "star" in the center, does not look like a reproduction, but does not give off that smell like bakelite.  Inside the transmitter is a 294W on what might be referred to as "a Hershey" style perch.

The phone has a green worn felt base with green cords. All cords are cloth with soldered spade ends except the receiver.  The receiver is a 144 type in side but the two cords have pins not spade connectors so I think the receiver shell is not original.  My question is this a phone made up from a WE and NE parts or did NE make 20-T all nickle without there normal markings?  Would this phone have had the receiver with the external connectors?

It came from a collector of railroad stuff that was pretty old. Someone on this forum responded to another NE purchase that I made stating that "THE NORTHERN ELECTRIC & MFG CO LIMITED" was on pre WW I phones.

I know, need photos.

I am on holidays so will have to learn how to post pictures off my iPad.

Landshark

ok, posted photos on original message.  Can add that the phone parts seem to all match patina wise.  The parts are brass with nickle plate.

Bob

Sargeguy

Cool transmitter.  Can you provide a close up of the tag so we can include it in the transmitter markings section?  You are correct, a 20-T is an Interphone model.  The base does not match the rest of the phone-unmarked bases were used with earlier style perches that had the patent information stamped on them. This is not surprising, many Interphones were provided by smaller shops that may have mixed and matched phone parts to suit their needs without regard for matching dates, etc.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Landshark

Thanks Greg, took the mouth peice off to get a clear photo of the plate on the transmitter.  Can you give me a time period that these were used by NE?

Still wanting to know about the correct receiver for phone of this era that would match the phone cords with the pins in the ends.

I have a nickle plate base with "THE NORTHERN ELECTRIC & MFG CO LIMITED" on another Frankin phone that I may swap out but the patina might not match.  I guess if it came out of the same shop at the same time, is it really a Frankin phone? 

Bob

NorthernElectric

Quote from: Landshark on October 14, 2015, 11:59:33 AMThe receiver is a 144 type in side but the two cords have pins not spade connectors so I think the receiver shell is not original.

Are the connectors in your receiver not designed to accomomdate both pins or spades?
Cliff

Landshark

Hi Clif

Here are pics of the insides of the receiver, don't see any where to " plug in" the pins (missing one).

Also, just bumping a question about the transmitter #  294W, can not find any reference to that transmitter number?

As you can tell, this is just my 2nd candlestick so don't have a lot of knowledge yet!

Bob

NorthernElectric

Quote from: Landshark on October 14, 2015, 10:20:02 PM
Hi Clif

Here are pics of the insides of the receiver, don't see any where to " plug in" the pins (missing one).

Also, just bumping a question about the transmitter #  294W, can not find any reference to that transmitter number?

As you can tell, this is just my 2nd candlestick so don't have a lot of knowledge yet!

Bob

I'm not sure but those receiver guts may not be WE (or NE).  I have 2 NE 144's and a WE 143 and all have similar looking internals, and they don't look like that.  One that comes to mind that looks similar to yours is an AE polarized receiver, but I don't know enough to be sure.  Someone will.
Cliff

Landshark

Again, thanks Cliff, upon closer inspection, there are holes inside the receiver to put the pins, learned a few things about these phones today.

Bob

wds

Looks like a very nice phone - not a frankenphone.  I'm intrigued by the receiver - not one I've seen before.
Dave

rdelius

The receiver and insides do not appear to be WE or NE .Still a nice telephone 

poplar1

Did NE ever make drawn perches? Is this 20-T possibly WE with a NE transmitter and an unknown receiver?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

NorthernElectric

Quote from: poplar1 on October 15, 2015, 09:02:51 AM
Did NE ever make drawn perches?

My N50AL has a drawn perch but I don't recall seeing one on a NE manual stick before.  But, I've only been looking at them for a year or so.
Cliff

Sargeguy

The transmitter looks like a typical Interphone transmitter similar to the 302w.  That is most likely a Western Electric Perch on an earlier Western Electric base, so the NE base would not matter.  I would just keep it as is, unless you come across a TYPE 22 that needs a base.  It's probably been that way for 100 years or so.   In the early years, transmitters, receivers and bases were mixed and matched depending upon a variety of factors to get the best result.   The idea of a single, self-contained phone developed later, over time.  Interphone systems were not typically provided or maintained by the Bell System (although they did sell them).  They were often sold by electricians or smaller companies.  The smaller operations would buy up obsolete Bell System stock (like TYPE 22s) or from whoever had the cheapest parts at the time (Northern Electric???).
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409