News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Grudge Match: 2002 Cortelco vs. 1954 W.E.

Started by McHeath, September 09, 2008, 12:06:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Konrad

The home page picture is a state of the art high tech vacuum tube.  I don't know if it's still true but in the mid 80's the FAA was the biggest consumer of vacuum tubes for air traffic RADAR.  Probably still some government agency.

rp2813

I picked up a biege/putty late 80's PacTel 2500 today.  I can't see anything on it that says where it's made.  Could it be a Cortelco?
Ralph

McHeath

In the late 80's Cortelco was still ITT.  It would say on the handset and shell the name ITT if it's there's.  There have been a lot of companies that have made 2500s, one company today makes a spiffy all chrome job.

HobieSport

Hi Heath from Matt/HobieSport,

Have you read the Henry Dreyfuss book yet?  I only ask because I respect you as an educator.  I don't know anything about Western Electric telephones after 1957.

mienaichizu

Quote from: rp2813 on January 07, 2009, 12:05:29 AM
I picked up a biege/putty late 80's PacTel 2500 today.  I can't see anything on it that says where it's made.  Could it be a Cortelco?

I also have a PacTel 2500, a black one, its same as yours, no names where it came from but I think its American

McHeath

QuoteHave you read the Henry Dreyfuss book yet?  I only ask because I respect you as an educator.  I don't know anything about Western Electric telephones after 1957

Gee you are generous, thanks.  I've not read the Dreyfuss book yet, though it is on my plans.  I know a bit about the later phones, but would in no way call myself an expert as there seems to be such a vast amount to know and sadly stuff slips right out of my memory.  Dreyfuss was a master designer it's clear, his products still do what they do well and with style.

HobieSport

Heath I just finished the Dreyfuss Book, Designing for People, and his biography, Man in the Brown Suit.  What an interesting person and career!  Chapter seven, The Telephone, is a special treat.  -Matt

mienaichizu

so that's why I don't see you recently in the forum, your busy reading a book, got to buy that book to, what's its title Matt?

rp2813

I took another look at my PacTel phone, it has a white sticker dated 7/84 on the base and another sticker with technical info that begins with "Comdial" but that's all.  I'm not familiar with Comdial but am thinking they were either a manufacturer or distributor but still don't know where the phone was actually made.
Ralph