News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

'60 WE 500

Started by benkeys, July 25, 2012, 06:59:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benkeys

Just got my 1960 WE 500 just a few hours ago. It had some work done in '72, but it only looks like the receiver cap and transmitter cap were the only thing replaced with newer dates. The ringer is dated 1960 as is the 7C dial. The receiver is dated 1959 and transmitter is dated 1956. I believe it is a G-1 handset, as it reads NOT FOR SALE on it. The best part is once i moved the wires around it rang right away.. which made me happy obviously. Now i did notice that the 7C dial from 1960 has larger finger holes then the 7D from 1955.
Ben K...  1960 WE 500 and 1972 SC 554   Always enjoying the sound of a phone with a bell ringer ringing....

poplar1

As far as I know, the G1(= black Bakelite) handsets were never marked "Bell System Property Not For Sale." That marking started around 1968 but by then all the handsets were G-3 (plastic) whether black or color.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

benkeys

Ok, so its obviously a replacement handset, probably was replaced in 1972. Which explains the 2 caps being dated 1972. However, not all G-1's are bakelite as my other 500 has a G-1 that is plastic. I only paid 15.50 for this, so i think i did quite good. 
Ben K...  1960 WE 500 and 1972 SC 554   Always enjoying the sound of a phone with a bell ringer ringing....

poplar1

Please post a picture of a plastic G-1. I've never seen one. By the way, the handset shell has a "clock" stamped in the plastic that shows the year and month.

benkeys

It was a bit hard to focus on, but here is a pic of the plastic G-1. I think its dated 1964. 64 was the number i seen on the inside on the receiver cavity. As for the one i just got, that appears to be a 1971 handset, which is probably a G-3. However, you may mistaking the G-1 for the F-1? which was bakelite throughout its production, if i remember correctly.. Also please keep in mind i'm still learning.

poplar1

I can't really tell by the picture that it is plastic and not bakelite. You can probably go by the weight. Yes, I know that *most* F1s are bakelite (there are some black plastic F1s). I have seen several thousand  bakelite G-1s and never a plastic G-1. By definition the plastic hardwired ones I've seen are all G-3 whether black or color.

benkeys

It was hard to focus on, but its a G-1 and its plastic. I personally have never seen a plastic F-1, but i only own 2 WE 500's and 1 stromberg carlson 554. I am still fairly new to antique phones, and have a few more models to add to my collection. The phone the G-1 is on is getting put up until i can get a dial for it, then it will be my living room piece. This 60'S 500 works as it should and actually drowns out my 554, that is from '72 which is a complete matching number phone... I'm just wandering exactly how many of these older phones i can hook up with having 2 cordless phones already on the same line? I dont want to drain all the power out of the phone line or modem, as i have Time warner digital phone.

G-Man

Perhaps I am wrong, but I agree with popular1; I do not recall ever seeing a plastic G1 handset, only
Bakelite versions.

And, as popular1 has already stated:

BELL SYSTEM PRACTICES                                                  SECTION C32.203
Station Installation and Maintenance                                   Issue 8, Aug., 1955
                                                                                        AT&TCo Standard

2.02  Lightweight F1-type handsets may be distinguished
         from the regular handsets by their lighter weight plas-
tic, hollow handle, and an embossed dot following the code
number on the handle. Transmitter and receiver caps for light-
weight handsets are not interchangeable with regular caps
because the threads are different. Caps for the heavier [Bakelite] hand-
sets have a number molded in the center of the underside of
the grid; lightweight caps do not have such a number.

2.03   A lightweight handset should not be used to replace a
           regular handset. Its lighter weight may not operate
reliably a switchhook designed for a regular handset.

poplar1

Ben, the REN (ringer equivalence number) of a 500 or 554 is 1.0. The REN is probably marked on the bottom of the cordless phone bases but is probably not over 1.0 each. You can usually have 5.0--on a land line-- with no problem. When you get too many, you will notice that some of them stop ringing or ring poorly. You can also loosen the tension of the bias spring on the 500s and 554s.

Anyone know what the REN is for a VOIP line?

HowardPgh

The bakelite G1 has  grooves on it. It also has a sort of rounder cross section around the handle part.  Some of them have the slot for the cord restraint molded in the bottom of the transmitter area and require a different type of transmitter cup.  I have some of these but they have newer caps on them, I don't think I have ever seen one with original caps.
The plastic G handsets are more rectangular and are definitly lighter.
G1 always black plastic or bakelite hard wired?
G3 always a color hardwired?
Howard
Howard

jsowers

There are grooves on the handset Ben claims is plastic. Are you sure, Ben? I think it's Bakelite, but maybe it has plastic caps.

Ben, you need to get a better camera. Or try taking pictures outside in natural light. That's where I get the best results.
Jonathan

LarryInMichigan

The handset in the picture looks like it has grooves.  I have never seen a grooved plastic handset.  I have assumed that the grooves were a result of the bakelite moulding process, and that the non-grooved handset had their grooves filled.

Larry

benkeys

Ok, ok.. it has grooves.. it looked plastic to me.. as i have only seen bakelite radios, which are obvious to see the difference.. of course most of them are 1940s radios compared to an early 60's handset which looks pretty dang gone close to plastic, which is a bit heavier now that i compared it with the G-3 which isnt grooved. Like i said i have alot to learn yet.. As far as the REN of my cordless phones, My Uniden is 0.0 and the Vetech is 0.1. In other words the cordless phones take up virtually no ring power at all, if i can have up to a 5.0. Which means i should be able to hook up at least 3 or 4 rotary phones on my line. Correct?  Is there a way to boost phone line power? just out of curiosity? although i highly doubt i am ever going to exceed my REN limit.

LarryInMichigan

You can add resistors in series with your ringers to reduce the amount of current which flows though them and leave some current for more ringers.

Larry

McHeath

You should be able to do 3 or 4 old phones on your line and get them to ring.  Turn them all the way up and enjoy the blasting ring!