News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Another WE Candelstick

Started by LarryInMichigan, February 13, 2013, 03:23:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

I just saw this: ebay link with a $65 BIN OBO, but I didn't want to wait for an offer to be accepted, so I pushed the button.  This will probably not be the "find of the month", but I think that it was a good deal.  One can never have too many #2 dials :)

Larry

Sargeguy

You're just lucky I did not see it first! >:(
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: Sargeguy on February 13, 2013, 04:20:33 PM
You're just lucky I did not see it first! >:(

That was why I bought it right away instead of submitting an offer ;)

Larry

LarryInMichigan

I asked the seller if she would ship the phone by a cheaper method, and she refunded $5 of the shipping cost.  She has been very cooperative about packing and shipping.  What I need now is a transmitter for this phone.  I was tempted to buy a WE "bulldog" which was listed for cheap recently, but I figured that I may never use it.

Larry

Sargeguy

Do you want a Bulldog style?  Unless it's a 151-AL a solid back transmitter such as a 323 or 337 would be more appropriate. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

LarryInMichigan

I will take whatever I can get.  I already have a decent WE dial stick with a #2 dial, so if I can't get a transmitter for this one relatively cheaply, I will probably just sell it.

Larry

wds

Quite a bargain.  It almost looks like the dial plate is a no notch.  Nice one.
Dave

poplar1

The same seller wants $169 for another WE candlestick--with transmitter but not a #2 dial!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321072586518

On the phone Larry bought, you can tell it haS  a 132-B unnotched number plate because there is no Z AND the word operator is written in a line, not eyebrow style.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

LarryInMichigan

The candlestick arrived this afternoon.  The perch appears to be stamped "51 AL", but the '1' is hard to see.  The #2 dial turns freely, but the un-notched number plate is worn.  Most of the numbers are barely visible.  The receiver cord was cut inside the receiver, but I connected another cord, and the receiver works well, though there is a crack in the cap.  I plan to glue the crack to keep it from spreading.  The side of the cap has "PROPERTY OF AMERICAN BELL TELEPHONE CO" in barely visible letters on it.

The metal could use a moderate sanding and repainting.  I think that I will keep the receiver for another WE stick which currently has a Kellogg receiver.  The dial will probably go into storage until another phone needing a #2 dial arrives.  I will probably have no use for the body of the stick, so I want to sell it.  I have seen stripped down WE candlesticks go for $50+ without the base plate, which this one has.  If anyone is interested in it, contact me.

Larry

Sargeguy

Here is Larry's Phone after a little steel wool. #000 and the #0000.  The polishing knocked down most of the oxidization but left some flea bites in the paint.  Luckily they aren't very noticeable (especially without my glasses) except on the perch.  I added a 337, 2AB dial and 144 receiver from the parts box.  I am all out of cords and need to re-paint that dial.

Thanks Larry!
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

LarryInMichigan

It looks very nice.  You could advertise it as a cordless candlestick phone :D

Larry