"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric 302 Setup Advice needed

Started by VictoryHighway, January 02, 2015, 09:09:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VictoryHighway

Greetings,
I'm relatively new to telephone collecting and I've recently bought a Western Electric 302 on eBay (for a pretty good price, I might add), but I'm having some trouble getting it up and running.  I was hoping that users on this forum might be able to help.  According to the seller, the phone was fully restored, tested and fully functional.

When the phone arrived at my house, I connected it to my home line (which is a Verizon FiOS Digital Voice service).  The seller had already converted it to have a modular line cord, which was nice even though it's something I could've done myself.

I have so far discovered two issues with the phone.  First, when I attempt to dial, it will not break the dial tone.  Second, when a call comes in, I can hear the ringer moving, but it is either not striking the bells or isn't striking the bells hard enough to ring.  I've already opened the phone up and looked at the ringer.  The bells were screwed in very tightly, so I thought that might be the cause of the "no ring".  So, I loosened the screws a little bit, but to no avail.

Now, I know what you're thinking.  "You're not using a regular POTS line."  Well, that's certainly true.  However, I have a Western Electric 500 phone already, and it works perfectly with this phone service.  It both dials properly and rings (beautifully, I might add!)

So, I need some advice about this 302.  Does the 302 ringer require higher current than the 500 ringer?  Should I try buying a Rotatone for my new 302 (or is there something else that I can do to fix the ringer)?  Or should I just contact the eBay seller and return the 302 (it's still within the seller's return period)?

Regards,
Geoffrey

Doug Rose

check the bias spring above the gongs, move it in the middle and see. Are the gongs too close for the clapper to move? A picture would help.

Dialing out..... can you dial with the 500 set. Verizon might not support rotary dial. Welcome to the Forum. ...Doug
Kidphone

dsk

Hi, and welcome. Try to do as Doug suggested. The ideal adjustment make the clapper almost hit the bell, when it is in the end position.
Other ringers on the line may draw current you need for this ringer.  This ringer should be about equal to the 500 regarding current, but older magnets are weaker magnets etc... Or actually this happens during storing, if it is used the magnet lasts. (don't know why)

If an other rotary dials out, it may be the dial tuning, try to release the dial from 0 at the same time, and see if it uses different time to rest position. 

dsk

VictoryHighway

Hello,
Thanks for the suggestions.  I've opened it up again and tried to tweak the orientation of the bells (gongs?) thinking that the clapper needed more room.  That didn't seem to work, and now I'm not even seeing the clapper move when a call comes in.  Bummer.  I'm not very mechanically inclined, and I hope I didn't kill it.

I've looked for a "bias spring", but I haven't found any spring, except for a small one that looks to be in-between the two electromagnets in the ringer assembly.  Is that the one that you've mentioned?

I'm adding some photos of the interior of the phone, hoping that might help.

I've checked the dial speed of the 302 against my 500 and the 302 is a bit "slow" compared to my 500.

Regards,
Geoffrey

P.S.: I tried to attach the photos to this post, but it didn't work.  So, I've uploaded them to my dropbox instead.
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/pm4o1xmw6zrjisu/AAAjfeeQGD879-lKHvfUh4LHa

Phonesrfun

The spring you described is the bias spring.  It has two settings by moving the end to one of two notches.  Try it each way.  Highly unlikely and almost impossible to kill one of these.    Does your 500 break dial tone on your digital system?

-Bill G

VictoryHighway

Hello Phonesrfun,
I will try adjusting the spring.  My WE 500 set does break the dial tone and all digits are dialed correctly.  I think there may be a timing problem with the dial on my 302.

Regards,
Geoffrey

Phonesrfun

If the dial needs adjusting or cleaning, it is best to send it to Steve Hilsz who does a complete job for I think $6 or $7, I can't remember exactly.  Pretty darn reasonable.  Best not to dabble with dials unless you're really mechanically inclined.

-Bill G

andre_janew

Before taking the dial out, make a diagram so you know which wires go on which terminals.  The wires on this type of phone can be removed from the dial itself to make things easier.  The diagram doesn't have to be fancy as long as you can understand it.  You'll be glad you made the diagram when you put the dial back in.

VictoryHighway

Well, I finally got a chance to look into my ringer again.  I adjusted the bias spring position, and now the ringer is working perfectly!  Whew.  Now, that just leaves my dial.    It appears that the dial of my 302 is running slightly slow, compared to my 500 set.

Thanks for your advice!

Doug Rose

Good news on the ringer, for the dial try a light oil, it might be all it needs. If your remove the dial, take a picture before!!  It sure helps in the beginning of getting everything connected properly. Steve Hilsz is a deal for dial repair and they come back perfect....Half way there!....Doug
Kidphone

VictoryHighway

Doug Rose

I use Marvel Mystery Oil. Any light oil is fine, but use sparingly....Doug
Kidphone