News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1958 AE Ringer Help, won't ring

Started by debeaune, January 04, 2015, 11:41:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

debeaune

Hey Team, Happy New Year. I have a nice old AE from 1958 and eventhough I'm sure its a frequency ringer, I'm not sure its wired correctly.  The black wire on the 2nd to last post from the right is from the Grey box on the ringer (cap i assume) and the red lead off the ringer is on the 4th from the right.  Does this seem correct? I also jumpered the green and yellow in my biscuit like I have done previously on older WE 500s, was this correct for this phone?  Is this right, what needs to be changed, do I need a cap in line? Any input would be appreciated. Thank you..Tim

Phonesrfun

Connecting the yellow to the green in the connecting block wouldbe the correct wiring, however you DO have a frequency ringer.  33.3~ according to the label.  By connecting it the way you describe, you should at least be able to  see or feel it vibrate slightly on an incoming call.  Because frequency ringers are so selective, you will probably not get much more than a vibration.  A search of past posts will turn up several conversations about adjusting/modifying frequency ringers to work better than a mere vibration.  Fortunately, a 33 ~ frequency ringer is probably better than other frequencies to work with.
-Bill G

debeaune

Bill, thanks. Should the yellow be terminated in the biscuit or no? Thanks

Phonesrfun

Yes.  It should be connected with the green wire.

Alternatively, you could move the black ringer wire inside the phone where it connects to the network.  Currently it connects to the yellow line cord wire.  (See your photo).  If you move it to connect to the green line cord wire, then the yellow wire is not needed.

-Bill G

debeaune

Bill, moved the black ringer to the last terminal to the right (red line in), terminated the yellow to the green in the biscuit, adjusted the read, turned the bells in a little more to close the gap, adjusted the ringer armature closer to the base and she works perfectly now, thank you very much.

Phonesrfun

-Bill G