News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Peroxide treatment On Tenite - SC 1500 series?

Started by stopthemachine, February 17, 2011, 01:03:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stopthemachine

Hi,

I've been reading some of the older threads on the peroxide treatment on early 500 sets as well as the hard plastic 500 series.  I'm going to use the peroxide recipe tomorrow on a couple junker 500/2500 phones and a badly miscolored, blue/aqua 500 set to see how they turn out.  

I have a lot of confidence in this method from the great results I've seen on here, but I was just curious if anyone has tried this on the SC 1500 series?  I have a pink 1543 set that looks salmon, but from what I recall, SC and WE soft plastics feel a bit different (SC feels softer).  

Has anyone tried the peroxide gel formula on the 1543/53 phones?  If so, how well did it work?  Which colors worked best?  From what I remember, my other 1543 phone colors are good enough where I don't want to mess with them, but compared to my second pink 1543 set, this one could look much better.  

Hope to hear some thoughts and thanks in advance!
~Dan

stopthemachine

I just thought I'd come back to this post.  Has anyone tried the peroxide treatment on the SC 1500 series yet by any chance?  I'm curious about the results. 

Thanks again,
Dan

Dan

I haven't, but ABS plastic should work the same on all series, especially white and ivory.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

stopthemachine

Quote from: Dan on March 04, 2011, 06:58:06 PM
I haven't, but ABS plastic should work the same on all series, especially white and ivory.
I was under the impresssion that the SC 1500 series used only soft plastic; they didn't switch to the hard PVC-type plastic until they used the WE license in 1966 to produce their own 500-type phones.

Little help someone?

Kenny C

I see no reason it wouldnt work on tenite.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Dan

I second Kenny's thoughts, I have used it on soft ivory with great success. What colour are you whitening?
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

stopthemachine

One is yellow and the other is a pink which has turned salmon.  (I have an extra, gorgeous pink 1543 as a back-up, fortunately.) 

I have to say though--I tried the process with an badly yellowed AE 80 (white) and an ITT 2550 set (like an "almond" color) with just moderate success--I had the createst success on the cords to be honest!  The cords came out fantanstic.

Does the process work better on soft or hard plastic?  Just curious.

Dan

It really works equally well for me on both. I did a pink that turned out well (ABS). Mostly, with my experience, it is the COLOUR, not the plastic , that makes the difference.