News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Aluminum Dial Plate - A.E. Dial - Galion Phone

Started by Dennis Markham, January 16, 2009, 11:56:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis Markham

I started in on a new project today.  A woman sent me her North Electric "Galion" phone to be refurbished.  As many did, this one has an Automatic Electric dial.  This is the first time I have ever run into a dial plate made of aluminum.  As you can see from the photos it has an aluminum color on the front and is red on the back.  Of the dated parts I have found on the phone it is from late 1952 although the receiver element does have an 11/1951 date.  I just don't know if this was common for a dial like this during the early 50's.  Anyone have any knowledge about this??

Mark Stevens

That's a new one on me!  The freaky part is that it appears white in the first photo.  It makes me wonder how many of these have crossed the block (yes, I'm watching the Barrett-Jackson Auction on Speed!) without the plate being recognized for what it is?

McHeath

Weirdness.  Does anyone else ever get the feeling that they just used whatever material was at hand on a lot of these old phones? 

mienaichizu

this is also the first time I came across an aluminum dial plate

benhutcherson

I agree-very odd. Never seen another one before.

Dan/Panther

I will bet dollars to dough nuts, that piece of aluminum is WWII surplus aircraft aluminum sheeting.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dennis Markham

That's interesting.  I believe it's from the time of the Korean war.  Was there a porcelain shortage??

Dan/Panther

I would imagine there was an over abundance of aircarft grade aluminum sheeting floating around, and the Red back tends to make me feel that its where it came from, Usually backed by Red or Blue for ease of visual for markingt purposes.
They still use a lot of Red and Blue Dye-Kem on metals.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson