News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Automatic Electric 1A on eBay

Started by TelePlay, December 30, 2011, 09:11:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

Very nice looking phone. BIN set at $2,799, opening bid at $2,400.

http://tinyurl.com/88lj83l

Picture for posterity.

AE_Collector

This phone was originally listed Dec 12, 2011 and quickly got an opening bid of $2799. The auction expired with no more bids but now it is relisted by the same seller. Presumably the buyer didn't complete the purchase but since the seller hides the identity of his bidders we have no way of knowing what went on.

The seller has been selling a lot of nice colored AE sets lately.

Original listing:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/160699938593

Terry

TelePlay

Knew you, if anyone, would have known that. And, I didn't know it was a seller option to hide bidders identity. I've seen the "private bidder listing" notice before but didn't know how that came to be. The seller has other stuff listed right now and you are right, one item with 7 bids shows them all as private. And he did sell that Orchid AE 40

http://tinyurl.com/7utubzr

for $3,999 about a month ago with private bidders. Now, the seller still holds a 100% rating so does keeping the bidders private tie into not letting the bidder leave negative feedback? Just a newbie asking a question . . .

AE_Collector

Yes, same seller. I don't know all the ins and outs of showing bidders as private but wouldn't think that would do anything to ensure 100% positive feedback. He just has a good record so far. Only 1 neutral somehwere between 6 and 12 months ago.

Terry

GG

Very nice; listed as "old ivory" color, which to my eyes looks like "mustard" or "dark beige" or something along those lines.

For those who don't have $3k lying around, Kleenax here can make one for you that's indistinguishable from NOS, for under $1k, in any original AE color plastic, or clear, or any other color(s) you like including red white & blue psychedelic swirl. 

AE_Collector

Quote from: GG on December 31, 2011, 04:18:21 AM
listed as "old ivory" color, which to my eyes looks like "mustard" or "dark beige" or something along those lines.

I guess a look inside would tell the story better. If it did start out as AE color "Old Ivory" it has darkened a lot more than other examples that I have seen.

Quote from: GG on December 31, 2011, 04:18:21 AM
For those who don't have $3k lying around, Kleenax here can make one for you that's indistinguishable from NOS, for under $1k, in any original AE color plastic

And then you can resell it on ebaY for $1895!  A *stunning* phone but I am amazed that this sold for that much and I'm sure that Ray would like to get that for each of his creations. I guess it is a testament to his fine work but I can't help wondering if the buyer didn't do his homework well enough.

I keep wondering what the "Original Box" is like that it was taken out of to take the pictures. (last line of ebaY description). I'm thinking either a medium or large USPS flat rate box?

Terry

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120829293473

Here is an  AE34 telephone  telephone. It is a Ray Kotke creation.This very elegant Art deco phone is very stylish with its curves.

Made in the beautiful red color . One of 3 three that were made.

The nickle plated brass  looks superb.

It has a nice original  black Extensicord .

This phone was taken out of its original box for the pictures and has never been displayed .

Doug Rose

There is no doubt that Ray does amazing work. I am the proud owner of a clear WE 302 made by Mr. Kotke. Whenever anyone looks at my collection, novice or expert; they always comment on it. There eyes go right to it. I was amazed when someone recently wrote that Ray only made NINE clear 302s. I am extremely fortunate to own mine.

Made with real parts, it is still not the real deal and Ray marks them (or did mine) so there is never any confusion.

As for the Red AE34, no argument; a stunning phone. Hours of work went into it, but I am guessing that Mark at least doubled his investment in his sale. 

Terry...I agree, the original box that Ray sent me was a Priority Mail Box. Medium Priority Flat Rate for $7.70 if memory serves. If this auction price was more buyer friendly, I would have bid on it in a heartbeat....Doug
Kidphone