News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Build your own miniature subset for your candlestick or cradle phone

Started by benhutcherson, March 08, 2009, 10:28:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benhutcherson

As many of you know, the number of available subsets in ones collection can often exceed the number of telephones requiring subsets.

I recently found myself in need of another one, so here's a set of step by step instructions for how to build a small, ringerless subset which will allow you to safely use your telephones for a minimal amount of money.

The main part you will need is a 101A induction coil. These can by had from any junky 302, or alternatively from Old Phone Works for around $10.

You'll also need the following from Radio Shack

Small project box(270-1803, $3.69)
2.2 μF non-polarized electrolytic capacitor(272-997, $1.19)-only needed for anti-sidetone operation
4"x6" perfboard (276-1395, $2.79)

You will also need some 6-32 machine screws, and 6-32 nuts. These can also be had at Radio Shack, or your local hardware store.

The first step is to open the project box, and locate the four pre-drilled mounting studs at each corner of the bottom. Run a 6-32 tap through each of these.

Now, take the perfboard and cut it(using scissors) so that it just fits inside the box. You then want to drill a hole in each corner so as to line up with each of the mounting studs.

Now, remove the perfboard, and place the 101A network on it. Drill a hole to align with each mounting hole of the 101A, and then use a 6-32 machine screw and nut to hold it in place.

Now, drop the perfboard, with the network attached, down in the box. Use a 6-32 screw at each corner to hold it in place.

You now need to drill a hole at each end of the box large enough to bring the mounting cord and line cord in through.

Once this is done, you're ready to begin wiring. Of course, red and green from the line cord go to L1 and L2.

From the mounting cord, green goes to GN, red goes to R, and yellow goes to Y. Finally, if you have an anti-sidetone telephone, you need to connect one lead of the capacitor to C, and the black wire from the mounting cord to the other lead of the capacitor. Close it all up, and you have a nice, convenient subset for under $20.

bingster

An elegant solution to an all-too-common problem, Ben.  Thanks for the post!
= DARRIN =

Dan/Panther

Could you hook a small ringer to this unit ?  Great information, we need more things like this.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dennis Markham

Thanks Ben.  There are always those that want to connect their 202's directly to the phone line.  This is a perfect solution and inexpensive too.

benhutcherson

Dan,

I don't think that a ringer would fit in this size box, but Radio Shack has several larger sizes.

I imagine that by going up one or two sizes, you could probably fit in a Princess ringer, or similar small ringer. You'd then need an appropriate capacitor in series, and you'd be in business. One lead of the ringer would go to L1, and the other, in series with the capacitor, would go to L2. I don't know the capacitor value offhand, but it would be easy enough to find.

You'd also need to drill holes in the case to let the sound of the ringer out, but that's not a problem.

BDM

Just to add to this. You can make a small jumper for subset to phone connections using a female 4 prong standard Tel-Co jack. Then use a the male jack on the end of your candlestick, B1 or D1. Makes it real easy for plug & play operation. I did that for some time in the past when I was constantly switching phones. Makes it a snap. Saves you from having to open the subset time & again.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Sargeguy

How about if you already have a ringer box, with no coil?  Can you use the condenser that is already there or do you have to use a new one?  How do you wire up the coil?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

BDM

Quote from: Sargeguy on March 10, 2009, 12:14:59 AM
How about if you already have a ringer box, with no coil?  Can you use the condenser that is already there or do you have to use a new one?  How do you wire up the coil?

I assume you're referring to the network coil? What model subset do you have? If it's a W.E. subset, I may be able to supply you with a network coil.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI