News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Not Quite A Clock

Started by 19and41, February 16, 2017, 06:42:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

19and41

But close enough to watch like one.  I've wanted to get a barometer for some time now, and saw one that looks just like this one on Ebay.  Not a frilly unit but it appears to be operating.  A helpful hint:  if you have a mechanical barometer with some age to it, like this Airguide, they can be slow to respond and not fully center when changing.  It helps them to have a slight vibration to the wall where they are hung.  I put mine on the door/air return to my HVAC closet and that suits it just fine.   It tracks the readings on Weather Underground well.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

19and41

after using it a few days I have found it was extremely jumpy in it's movement.  If there were any change in the pressure it would not move 'til I would tap on it with my finger, then it would jump by an inch/Hg.  So I removed it's back panel and  did a lighr clean in the housing and cleaned the crystal.  I then applied tiny amounts of synthetic oil on the working surfaces of the movement.  i ran the movement through a little bit of deflection.  Today has been the first major change since doing that, so I will see what it has done on it's own.
— Arthur C. Clarke

Fabius

If you are still not satisfied with its performance after the cleaning & oiling remove the barometer and replace it with a clock.  :) Use one of those quartz movements that you can buy at WalMart.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

19and41

— Arthur C. Clarke

AL_as_needed

Quote from: Fabius on February 21, 2017, 09:54:05 PM
If you are still not satisfied with its performance after the cleaning & oiling remove the barometer and replace it with a clock.  :) Use one of those quartz movements that you can by at WalMart.

Just leave the original barometer face, and ask people what time it is and watch the fun begin...

"kids react to; reading intentionally confusing analog devices"
TWinbrook7

19and41

It stayed close on track last night.  This weekend, I am going to remove the oil from the portion where the bellows lever contacts the movement and give it a couple of passes with 1500 grit paper and follow up with bond paper, lube it again and see how that goes.  To be honest it is replacing a C cell ATO clock that went old yeller on me.  It will be going to the thrift store.
— Arthur C. Clarke

19and41

The pressure changed last night and it stayed right with it with no stepping nor error.
— Arthur C. Clarke