News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Lengthening ringer spring

Started by cloyd, June 02, 2015, 09:55:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cloyd

This is my 684BA ringer that I am working on.  I got it to ring according to a post here that I can not relocate.  Thank you anonymous!  It has a wonderful but quiet ring.  I am wondering if the thread in the photo makes it ring that way.  I don't think that this adjustment would have been found in any Western Electric maintenance manual.
Tina Loyd
-- I am always doing what I cannot do yet, in order to learn how to do it. - Van Gogh -- 1885

paul-f

Quote from: cloyd on June 02, 2015, 09:55:52 AM

I don't think that this adjustment would have been found in any Western Electric maintenance manual.

What makes you think that, Tina?

A Google search in the TCI Library produces many hits for "ringer adjustment spring" including AT&T Specification 3855 - Adjustment of Substation Apparatus:

http://doc.telephonecollectors.info/dm/Spec3855_Mar17_Adjustments_Substation_Apparatus.pdf

http://www.telephonecollectors.info
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

LarryInMichigan

Gently turning the screw to which the thread is attached one way or the other will increase/decrease the bias tension on the ringer.  Decreasing the tension will allow the clapper to move more freely and may increase the loudness of the ringing.

Larry

dsk

Tina that is not a bad idea, still it is not often you need to do that.  Here in Norway we use 25 hz and maximum sound is usually close to 4 mm moving of the clapper ball (hammer) from one side to the other, at 20 Hz this could probably be some greater. I will say without gongs and spring it will be OK at approx 5 mm.  The clapper shall not touch the bell at any rest position, but as close as possible. The permanent magnet might have been weaker during many years of storing. this will u sally increase again when used. Just a light touch of the moving mechanism should make the hammer hit the gong, but let the gong vibrate. when you put on the bias spring again, its is important test and adjust after spring is connected again.

dsk