News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Dial demonstration

Started by Jim Stettler, May 20, 2010, 10:50:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Stettler

Does anyone know of any other videos regarding demonstrations of this type?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4v-crPSrj0

Any "paper" on this subject would also be of interest.
Thanks,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Phonesrfun

I have seen this one before.  I think there are some other films on the same sort of subject, also on U-Tube.  I don't know of any papers, but perhaps they are available somewhere.

-Bill G

Greg G.

Is that dial tone for real?  That is the most gawd-awful sound I've heard!  My first reaction to hearing it was don't touch anything metal!
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Phonesrfun on May 20, 2010, 11:07:37 PM
I have seen this one before.  I think there are some other films on the same sort of subject, also on U-Tube.  I don't know of any papers, but perhaps they are available somewhere.

These are called dial demonstrators and were part of the Bell lecture series, and probably the educational series. I suspect they had booklets of scripts and BSP's for these units.
They came in different sizes.

Jim
You live, You learn,

AE_Collector

Quote from: Brinybay on May 20, 2010, 11:20:27 PM
Is that dial tone for real?  That is the most gawd-awful sound I've heard!  My first reaction to hearing it was don't touch anything metal!

My guess would be that the dial tone IS NOT for real. I think the demo unit that they have there has nothing on it that "is real" other than the 211 wall set. I'd guess the dial tone is actually an AC buzzer mounted in that demo unit.

However, all you youngsters probably wouldn't recognize the old dial tone sound as compared to modern dial tone. That AC buzzer on the demo in the video isn't all that far off what "old" dial tone sounded like.

Check this short Youtube for a more acurate depiction of "old" tones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGWAkLVhuVI&feature=related

Terry

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Brinybay on May 20, 2010, 11:20:27 PM

I got to play with a teletrainer in kidergarten. It had a dial tone that didn't sound like our local dial tone.
Jim
You live, You learn,

Greg G.

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

paul-f

You can watch or download the original film in several formats from this page:
 http://www.archive.org/details/DialComesToT

Doing a search for Bell System on that site will turn up a number of similar films.

There were numerous short articles with photos of similar lecture/demo set-ups in many of the Operating Company employee magazines from the 1920s through 1940s.  I'll scan a few if there's interest.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line