News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

File this under: Stupidity

Started by Doug Rose, May 31, 2010, 09:42:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Happy Memeorial Day!!!! Janet and I got up at the crack of dawn yesterday and went to Maine to visit her Dad. Of course, the flea markets are always included. I found this beautiful wood Philco Tube radio in really great shape. I spent all morning cleaning it up and it looks like new. Stupidity: I should have plugged it in first. DEAD! It is a tube radio and probably needs more than I can give it. I know there are  few radio guys out there, anything quick and dirty I can try. The electrical cord is good and connected soundly, after that I am stuck. ....Stupid Old Doug
Kidphone

BDM

No, you shouldn't have plugged it in first! That can actually be the "real" stupid move!! In the case of radios using transformers, that can cook'em real quick if the rectifier tube or filter caps are shorted. Rotted line cord is another danger, along with a weak or shorted AC line by-pass cap. Bottom line, too much damage can occur (besides electrocution or a fire) by plugging in an AC set that hasn't been properly checked and/or restored. In the case of this set, it's an AC/DC Philco 46-350. Also known as a Roll-Top Philco. This uses the new miniature 1.4v tubes (new at that time), with the exception of the rectifier tube and power/output tube at 3.2v. With the exception of the rectifier tube, this set runs the tube filaments in series, or filament chain. Meaning you NEVER operate the set without tubes, and plug them in while the set turned on. The sudden voltage surge can burn a filament fast!

http://www.tuberadioland.com/philco46-350_portable.html

If you plan on restoring this yourself, here is a great thread about this set and checking it for proper voltages. Pay close attention to Norm Leal. This collector/restorer knows his sh**!!

http://www.nostalgiaair.org/Forums/Messages/040/M0054040.htm

BTW, nice find. These are very nice sets when operating correctly. Very sensitive!!

--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Doug Rose

Brian....thanks for the info. I will give it a shot. Its a really cool looking radio.....Doug
Kidphone

Dan/Panther

Brians links are great, and Norm does know his stuff.
I have two of those radios which I haven't gotten to yet, also known as breadbox.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dennis Markham

Doug, that's a beautiful radio.  It would be awesome to have it gone-over so that you can use it.  Careful, I have a feeling this can be addictive (radios).  Better make an addition to the house.

Doug Rose

Dennis....I have been good, I have one old floor model General Electric that is a working radio. I put many hours or refurb into the wood on it. On t he Philco I just loved the roll cover like an old desk. I will try to get it to work.

Dan...it does look like a breadbox....Doug
Kidphone

Bill Cahill

That is a battery, ac radio. They are called ac dc portables.
I will sing a little song here to tell you what it will need. I will put it as if the radio is singing. The song is meant to be humorus, but, the problems are real.

" On the twelth day of Christmas my technician gave to me....
One new rectifier!
4 electrolytics, new capacitors, several resistors,
and, a brand new 3V4."

They have great reception when working.
Definately worth fixing.
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

HarrySmith

Nice radio! Great job on cleaning it up! I want one to go with my roll top desk & roll top phone!

Harry
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Doug Rose

Folks...I have decided to sell this, it way over my head to try to repair. eBay 300433355217....thanks....Doug
Kidphone

Bill Cahill

I just looked at tube picture on ebay. I'm not so sure you won't be able to rebuild it. I think it may have a tube rectifier.
It's also a nice looking radio.
I am willing to help you here on it by answering questions.
Give it a try.
Looks like a nice little set.
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

Bill Cahill

And, I wouldn't call you stupid, either.
Give it a chance. Looks worth fixin' to me.
Bill Cahill 
Dan Panther, and, I know radio repairs. What knowledge of electronics have you got?
Let us know so we know where you stand. That way, we can make the best reccommendations.
B C

Doug Rose

Bill....I appreciate your offer, but I know I'll never be able to find the time to work on this. There are many telephone in queue. I really don't have the expertise to try. Hopefully the winner of my auction will bring this back to life. It is a beauty. Again, thanks for your offer.....Doug
Kidphone

HarrySmith

Hey Doug,

Congrats on you auction! Looks like you got a good price for it! I have an antique roll top desk and a roll top phone. I was watching it but too much for me to justfy just because it has a roll top! Radios are not my thing.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

JorgeAmely

Doug:

What is the auction number or link?

Jorge