Hurricane Irene

Started by Dennis Markham, August 27, 2011, 12:18:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JorgeAmely

Quote from: Dennis Markham on August 27, 2011, 08:24:11 PM
Quote from: JorgeAmely on August 27, 2011, 07:22:16 PM
I wish we had some of Irene's rain here; it is 103 outside.  :o :o :o

Ouch!  Jorge, did you move to Texas??!

Dennis: Still here in heavily taxed Californy.
Jorge

Tom B

It ain't only Californy-ia that's heavily taxed, Jorge - I'd just love to be able to have a say in what its spent on >:(
Tom

K1WI

Irene just ate mypower lines.   Many many trees down

K1wi

AE_Collector

All that open space and the tree had to hit the garage. At least the garage saved the vehicles and fortunately no trees found your house. Be careful cleaning up.

Terry

Nilsog

Its raining here in Maine, not much else at the moment. I guess its supposed to get worse tonight?
Ken

rdelius

Not much in Durham but Chapel Hill seems to have been hit worse. Had to put the radio station on the Diesel generator most of the day. Not much rain though
Robby

MDK

Quote from: jsowers on August 28, 2011, 11:00:15 AM
Quote from: Doug Rose on August 28, 2011, 10:00:17 AM
MDK...sorry about your tree, I thought it was goig to miss FLA...Doug

Doug, FYI, MDK is in Jacksonville, NC and not Florida. It's near Camp Lejeune and the southern Outer Banks, at the coast of NC. It's pretty much where the hurricane first made landfall.

MDK, that's too bad about your tree, but it's good you and your family are safe and sound and that you have power restored.

Thanks. There are still a lot of folks who still have no power, so I consider myself very fortunate. I drove to the store today for some two-cycle oil, and noted a lot of trees down, doing some roof damage to some of the homes along the road.

My neighbor lent me his chainsaw, and I got the tree all cut into firewood. Just a few minutes ago, phone service was restored.

I'd say today was a pretty good day considering what it looked like yesterday.

Cheers,

Marty (the OTHER Marty) Keil

Bill

Quote from: Nilsog on August 28, 2011, 04:15:24 PM
Its raining here in Maine, not much else at the moment. I guess its supposed to get worse tonight?

Welcome back, Ken -

Yup, kind of a snooze down here on the south coast of Maine as well. There is some pretty good surf across the street - at least by Maine standards, not California - so a few die-hard surfer dudes are trying it out. The surf is pretty confused, though, so they're not having much luck. But other than that, I guess we've had a lot of intermittent rain, and winds gusting up to (gasp!) 40 mph. Ten miles down the coast, our daughter and family have been without power for several hours, so they're using my generator to keep the refrig cold. And I admit I'm glad I'm not a power line worker tonight. But that is about it. Looks like the storm is actually passing to the west of us!

Around here, the hurricanes usually don't amount to much. There are exceptions, of course, but in general it is the spring nor'easters that are frightening.

Bill

Doug Rose

Finally got our power back, just a lot of leaves and branches in the yard. We survived. I hope everyone else did the same. No phones were lost to Irene....Doug
Kidphone

DavePEI

Quote from: Doug Rose on August 29, 2011, 08:36:35 AM
Finally got our power back, just a lot of leaves and branches in the yard. We survived. I hope everyone else did the same. No phones were lost to Irene....Doug

Prince Edward Island got off easy - only minimal rain and gusts to 90 km/h. I kept the museum shut up for a couple of days. The only sign the storm passed are a few leaves and twigs down. Of course, we were a couple of hundred miles from the centre of the storm as it passed over Quebec.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Adam

I live in Los Angeles, but my professionally hosted web sites live in Trumbull, CT.  They have been down since late Sunday night.  They're still down but the company promises they're working on it.

The longest my websites have been down before is a few hours.  This is the first time it's been more than a day.  I know it's nothing like damage to your home but it's very traumatic for me...

Glad everybody who was directly affected made it through OK!

UPDATE: My websites came back about 11:45 AM on Tuesday.
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

dencins

Just got power back an hour ago (Wed afternoon).  It has been out since Sunday morning.

Lots of trees down in southeastern Massachusetts but fortunately we had little damage.  The big oaks and white pines all rode out the storm (classic bend but don't break).  Less rain than I expected and other than loosing power it was not a bad as some Nor'easters that we get.

Time to clean out the refrigerator and get to the grocery store to restock.

Dennis Hallworth 

K1WI

POWER BACK ON !!   last night power , phone , and internet all came back on. Feel almost civiolized !

K1WI

southernphoneman

Quote from: MDK on August 27, 2011, 10:12:10 PM
I'm in Jacksonville. We just got our power and internet restored. My POTS service has been out since last night, and is still out.

I lost a tree in my backyard which fell on my carport. Fortunately my vehicles were not damaged.

MDK, i know this is late, but in regards to irene,i know what you went through, i live 1 hour and 45 minuts to your north in pamlico county. i am sure you can attest to what the flood did to people.a lot of people up here lost there homes and some are still rebuilding.my house survived, the floods did not enter the house, but i had to replace some insulation underneath the house. our power was out for about one week.the flood water in my area camne up to the top step on my front deck(see photo). i hoped you down in onslow county faired well

MDK

We were very fortunate not to have any more damage than we did in Onslow county.

I'm glad to hear you didn't get any water in the house. That can be extremely costly and stressful.

My wife's brother lived near Wallace when hurricane Floyd hit years ago, and his house had about 18 inches above the floor line. Flooding can really ruin things. That was over 13 years ago and there are still some people in Duplin county who are not fully over the devastation of their homes.

It is good to see another eastern NC phone freak here.

Cheers,

Marty