"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric D1 "202" - 1st Post by Devansphones

Started by Devansphones, October 11, 2011, 06:21:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Devansphones

Hello all,

I am new to the forum and very excited to be here and make some "Phriends" haha ;) I love old phones and love collecting and I have 4 phones now... one at a time for me... buy, restore, display, repeat! and I recently bought a D1 "202" with E1 handset that I love, I paid a good $60.00 for it and I think I got a good deal for the shape it is in, all original, even the chords and the cowhide suade is in great shape, here it is, tell me what you think!

~Devan

Devansphones

~Devan

bigdaddylove

welcome!

do you have a subset? if not, you should look into getting one.

take care,
BDL

HarrySmith

HI and welcome to the forum!
Very nice D mount, appears to be an early seamless E Handset! You got a great deal at only $60.00. BDL is right, now you will have to get a subset and hook it up properly.
If you already have 4 phones it might be too late for my usual warning about "phoneitis". These old phones multiply quickly. It is a progressive addiction with no known cure. Soon you will want a B mount or want another D with a dial. Then colors will be a priority or another manufacturer. And on and on and on........ :o ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Devansphones

I am already stuck on the phones to the point where my family and friends yell at me because that is all I ever talk about, I want to get a real fixer-uper phone like a 302 or a 202 with an F1 handset so I can take something that the average person would see as "broken" or "outdated" or "junk" and show the full potential of these phones, they are beauty, art, and they last forever... to think we have these cell phones that if you drop one 2 feet it breaks, and now these 40, 50, 60, etc. year old phones that work better, it baffles me. :)
~Devan

Devansphones

..... and no I do not have a subset, I have been browsing around on ebay, craigslist, amazon, etc.
~Devan

Kenny C

Quote from: Devansphones on October 11, 2011, 11:55:43 PM
I am already stuck on the phones to the point where my family and friends yell at me because that is all I ever talk about

I know what you mean about that. 

Quote from: Devansphones on October 11, 2011, 11:57:27 PM
..... and no I do not have a subset, I have been browsing around on ebay, craigslist, amazon, etc.

You can buy a broken 302 and use the insides as a subset, and buy a cover from Mr. Ray K. He sells these at a very reasonable price. His handle here is kleenax.

Welcome to the forum,
Kenny C.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Gary

Welcome!  Harry is right, these phones have a way of multiplying quickly.  I believe they are part Tribble (Star Trek reference)!  I recently got a D1 working and used a 302 I had as a parts phone for a subset like Kenny mentioned.  Good luck and have fun!

DavePEI

Quote from: Gary on October 16, 2011, 11:32:37 AM
Welcome!  Harry is right, these phones have a way of multiplying quickly.  I believe they are part Tribble (Star Trek reference)!  I recently got a D1 working and used a 302 I had as a parts phone for a subset like Kenny mentioned.  Good luck and have fun!
Too bad more vintage phones didn't share that tribble DNA! It would be nice if we could entitle an episode, "The Trouble With D1s!"

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

AE_Collector

Devansphones:

Happy belated birthday! I just noticed on the calendar that you had your 163 birthday last week! That's amazing! (I am guessing that there is a typo in your birthyear somewhere).

Got me thinking that "In the year 2525, if this forum still exists" we will all be 500 to 600 years old  according to the forum calendar.

Terry