Main Menu

WE 40-AL Sidetone Candlestick - need a base and info

Started by RB, March 13, 2018, 08:44:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RB

Hi
I got this candle on ebay.
got the rec from oldphoneworks
Replaced the transmitter with a T1. old one was toast.
Connected to a 315H. I hope they will be compatible.
It works, but volume is low in rec.
Question: is there anybody that sells the base plate for WE candles?
Or even a used one, home made one, not a problem, this is kludged together anyway.
But, it is a candle!
mouth piece is coming, almost there...i can feel it!
can anyone tell me why it has a chrome xmitter, and the rest is black?
Thanks

LarryInMichigan

There are many repro bases which are made to fit this and other models around.  One should not be especially difficult to find, but I don't have any spares.

Larry

RB

Thanks for the reply Larry!
will keep an eye out for one.

Sargeguy

An original base plate should not be too hard to find.  The bigger problem appears to be your base itself looks like it is dented.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

RB

Yup...dented, bented, and lemented...
I found an original, for $40. :(
I think I can make one for about $4... ;)
gonna go that rout.

Sargeguy

I have extra bases if you need one, I don't think I have any base plates to spare. I can check. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

poplar1

This is WE (Western Electric), not AE (Automatic Electric). What is the part number on the transmitter? Some early 20-ALs were black with nickel plated transmitters.

This looks like a 40-AL (1915 patent dates) that has been repainted black. It should have the Bower-Barf finish on the base and shaft.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Doug Rose

this will fit your WE stick....Doug

https://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/atq/d/western-electric-manual/6529752827.html ( dead link 04-22-21 )
Kidphone

Sargeguy

The 40 must refer to 40-AL and a look at the patent dates shows that to be the case.  This phone has been repainted and would have had the Bower-Barf finish originally.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

RB

HI poplar1 and sargeguy.
you are right about it being WE not AE, my bad. relying on my...uh??? memory... ???
Should not do that...
it is a 40AL, stamped on perch. that's what threw me.
what was a "Barf" finish? sounds weird.
it has been painted/repainted/touched up.
has some rust under the black on base. tough thing, heavy too.
The transmitter is chrome. don't know if orig or not??
The hook switch, and the housing is all that was usable. I had to replace/create the rest.
I will get the correct numbers off xmitter etc tonite.
Doug, thanks for the link

poplar1

I can probably furnish a baseplate if you still need one.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

HarrySmith

The original finish on these candlesticks was called Bower-Barf. It was a toxic substance that has since been banned. It contained asphalt and other nasty stuff. Google can give you more info if desired.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

RB

Quote from: HarrySmith on March 14, 2018, 04:31:32 PM
The original finish on these candlesticks was called Bower-Barf. It was a toxic substance that has since been banned. It contained asphalt and other nasty stuff. Google can give you more info if desired.
Nice! will my hair fall out if I lick it?
Maybe that splains the "BARF" part? lol

Haf

Found on the net:

Bower-Barf is a black rust-resisting finish applied to steel and iron only and is not applicable to non-ferrous metals. It is named after two men, Mr. Bower and Mr. Barf, who originally developed the process.

Iron or steel items to be finished are heated in special furnaces to approximately 1700 degrees Fahrenheit, at which temperature they are cherry red in color. While at this temperature, live steam and volatile hydrocarbon liquids are injected in to the furnace for a period of several minutes. The chemical action of the heat, water-vapor and hydrocarbon gases on the iron and steel is such that the surface of the items being treated become oxidized and carbonized. The surface becomes covered and impregnated with a hard, non-porous, grayish-blackish coating. The surface with this treatment practically becomes impervious to moisture. After parts are removed they are dipped in a special oil and wiped off. The finish becomes a dead black and is extremely beautiful and very practical for interior use.

Well, some names are quite annoying but you can't choose ;)

Haf
Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474

Doug Rose

Haf.....all the Bower-Barf finishes I have seen are grey. The 40AL is a steel base and shaft....Doug
Kidphone