News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE #21 wall Phone with Booster Circuit.

Started by Babybearjs, October 21, 2021, 07:41:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

I have a #21 steel wall phone and am trying to get it to dial out. the Unit came with 2 1MF condensers and I'm using one for the network and the other for the bell... I have the dial woired with the Bridge jumper on it and need to know if that will be OK as when I have it wired according to the schematic, I get no DT, though when dialed, I do get a click indicating there is power to the phone. there are 2 versions of the wiring diagram and I need to know which one I should use...
John

stub

John,
         If you have 2 condensers you have the AE Type 21 Automatic wall set, booster circuit for ground ringing. AE Bulletin # 1015 ,1929 , pg.7, circuit # H-17775 . I don't see the dial strap in this diagram. Hope this helps.  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Babybearjs

I got it working... it dials out just fine... I was able to omit the dial wire to terminal #5 and put the jumper back in... it still works fine. the phone is going to be gifted to a couple in St Louis who is restoring a 3 story victorian. I hope they like it!
John

stub

John,
            I'm sure they will like it , it's a nice phone.  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

FABphones

Could you add a photo? Would like to see it here too before it moves to it's new home.
:)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Babybearjs

here are the photos of the phone. I aquired the phone back in 2011 and had to piece it back together... lucky enough, I was able to find the original mouthpiece for it... as for the reciever, well, all I could get was the WE reproduction piece. but, it works... I tried to replace the bias spring but could never find one that would work... upon testing I discovered that the phone rings just fine without one, so I left it out. if anyone on here is in the St Louis area, I'd love to here from you. Kaleb and Kim Thompson will be the luck owners of this if they ever send me their mailing address... they have a Youtube channel: "The Second Empire Strikes Back" they are restoring the old Brown home there in St Louis and have their hands full with that project... check out their channel if you watch any Youtube videos. Also, Stub, is there a copy of that schematic in the TCI Library? I didn't see anything like that when I was getting the copy I have.... all the copies I have are shown with only 1 condenser...
John

Nice looking phone.
Those folks are lucky.

Babybearjs

they will be if they ever reply to me with a mailing address... that is, if they actually want the phone...
John