"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Advice on a 5302

Started by rp2813, February 16, 2010, 12:39:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

Dougpav,

I didn't realize that there was an inner ring until it started to separate from the cap while I was bending it trying to figure out how to remove the transmitter.  Once it was slightly loosened, I managed to unscrew it.  There was some mold between the threads on both the caps and ring, so I soaked both in bleach.  On mine, at least, there is no way to remove the transmitter from the cap without removing the ring (or destroying the cap).

Larry

Wallphone

Larry,
What I was saying is I think the threaded insert was supposed to stay on the handset.
Yours was the exception to the rule.
I could be wrong but it would make things easier if it did stay permanently on the handset.
Thanks for the heads-up in case it ever happens to me.
I would have never noticed the insert if you hadn't said something about it.
Dougpav

LarryInMichigan

Dougpav,

Sorry.  I didn't read your last post carefully enough.  I am not sure where the ring is supposed to stay.  At any rate, mine was tightly attached to the cap and came off with it.  The mold was probably helping to hold the two parts together.

Larry

rp2813

Would it be too much trouble for someone to post pix of the F1-adapted transmitter cap arrangement?  I'm familiar with the E1-to-F1 transmitter adapter, but have never seen the backward-compatible G1-to-F1 system.
Ralph

LarryInMichigan

I would if I could unscrew the cap.  It is really tight now.  Another thing with these GF transmitter arrangements is that the back of the transmitter barely makes contact with the contacts in the cup, so the cap has be screwed in all the way.  I also had to bend the contacts upward so that they would make contact with the transmitter.

Larry

Wallphone

I think that mine is glued in.
In this pic if you look at the 9 O'clock position you will see an 18.
The 18 is on the adaptor.
If you look at the 1 O'clock position you will see the threads of the adaptor and the threads of the handset.
Dougpav

Dan/Panther

Old bakelite threads can sometimes be almost if not impossible to separate. If you can get the handset cord out, why not just leave it alone to prevent risk of breakage.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

rp2813

Oh yeah, those look like major trouble to mess with.  I don't see where I'd ever want to undo the F1 adapter scheme anyway, so I'd leave mine be.   So the HA1 receiver adapter isn't as problematic?

Thanks for the pix.
Ralph

Wallphone

YW RP2813.
D/P, If you were talking to me, I never really said that I wanted them out except to maybe take a picture of them. If it ain't broke --------
Dougpav

LarryInMichigan

The receiver cap is one piece of soft plastic.  It might also be difficult to unscrew.  In general though, it is probably easier to unscrew a stuck soft plastic cap from a bakelite handset than a bakelite cap because the soft plastic is naturally slick and flexible.

I always remove the caps from phones I buy to clean them of decades of filth, and sometimes mold/bacterial growth, if for no other reason.  I frequently find that the contacts need cleaning anyway.  Also, I usually want to remove the cord for cleaning and/or recoiling.

Larry

Dan/Panther

Quote from: Wallphone on February 17, 2010, 02:56:30 PM
YW RP2813.
D/P, If you were talking to me, I never really said that I wanted them out except to maybe take a picture of them. If it ain't broke --------
Dougpav

Doug;
I know what you mean, I wish I had dime for every time I decided, "just one more adjustment will make it perfect "!!!

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

rp2813

I went back to take another look at the adapted transmitter body and just wanted to clarify one thing.  This arrangement still uses the (usually clear) plastic transmitter cup for the T1 type, correct?
Ralph

LarryInMichigan

Mine has a clear transmitter cup with the "U"-shaped part on the bottom to grab the handset cord.  It look s like the same type of cup that was used with T1 transmitters.

Larry

Dennis Markham

Speaking of a 5302, I was working on one today.  It has the G series handset with the HA1 and F1 elements.  The adapter ring on the transmitter end came off easily after heating it for 20-30 seconds with.......you-know-what---the hair dryer!

The housing is soft plastic despite the housing date of 5-21-62.  The handset and handset cord is also dated 62, I am assuming that this thing was put together then.  But I found something unusual in the receiver end cavity.  Where the date is normally embossed into the Bakelite there was a second date.  The original date has tick marks around the 62.  So it was made sometime in '62.  But below that was a 65 with an X along side.

My question is does anyone know about the X designation here?  Is it possible it was a refurb date?  But would they stamp a date into existing Bakelite (not during the manufacturing process)??

The dial is a 6A and it probably has the date stamped on it but I forgot to look and it's all back together now.  Photo of the 65X attached.

Phonesrfun

I have never actually seen a GF handset in person.  If that picture is of the receiver end, and it took an HA1 receiver, did the receiver have a cup with fingers on it to connect to the receiver element?  How did the HA1 make contact?

-Bill Geurts
-Bill G