News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Decent touchtone?

Started by Netdewt, March 06, 2010, 04:55:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Netdewt

I hate cordless phone and phones made today are all junk. I'd love to have all rotaries, but I need one touchtone in the house for automated systems occasionally. Anything decent out there? I was thinking of maybe a 2554. They still sell them new actually. Any other good ones?

bwanna

trimline & princess sets come in tt. there are some great colors on the '70's trimlines :D
donna

Dan

I like the 2500 or princess. If you like the double bell sound of a WE500, get the 2500, one bell is the trimline or princess. I'd go with a 2500, hardwired and early  (1970 ish- looked for the word operator in a half semicircle). The buttons have more spring to the touch.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

benhutcherson

When I need a TT, I grab a WE 2500.

I'd personally suggest an older model one-preferably hard wired, but if not hard wired at least with an older base date.

At some point(late '70s, maybe), the keypad was redesigned. The newer keypads have very, very little travel on the buttons. I personally find them to be not as pleasant to use as the older ones, where the buttons traveled quite a bit when you pressed them.

Fortunately, 2500s are plentiful, and mostly can be picked up a yardsales and flea markets for a few bucks each.

Craig T

I personally like the 3554 models. It incorporates at little bit of TT and rotary into the design.

McHeath

I usually keep a touchtone or two hooked up for pragmatic reasons, one is a Princess and the other a Trimline.

2500s will give you that great C4 ringer sound which is pretty cool as well.  If you still want that sound in a touchtone wall phone then a 3554 is the ticket, which is still being made by Cortelco.  The 2554, I have a couple, is a nice phone as well but has the single gong ringer that is, to my ears, not a very pleasant sound.  (later Princess and all Trimlines have the P series ringer as well)

Netdewt

Good point on the ringer. I hadn't thought of that. I think I'll probably go for a 3554 or 2500.

I really like the Contempra. Was it ever made in touchtone?

AET

2500's are the way to go.  They blend in rather well with 500 sets.
- Tom