News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Help with dates of telephones

Started by 4123, January 30, 2014, 02:07:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hello.  Its me again.  As I said in an earlier post several months ago, I'm good at finding them and displaying them but not at identifying them.  Can someone help me with the dates on the (red) numbered telephones?  This is a booth display that's destined for a bank lobby.

Also,  is anyone interested in a NOS Western Electric clear, open center,  fingerwheel? 

Thanks,  Ron
Ron Christianson

"Consider It All Entertainment"

dsk

Hi

Regarding no 7
Take a look at this page:  http://tinyurl.com/pdwo3hq

I don't now much about Swedish telephones but if it is BC 310, it was made from 1928-193?
(I have been told: the earliest dials had room for drilling 12 holes to fill the dial, later had room for 13)

dsk

Thanks DSK!  That's a good start.

Ron
Ron Christianson

Matilo Telephones

No 3 is French. I think Thomson Houston (doesn't sound French, I know. But it is French anyway). Hard to say which one. The pic is taken from a distance.
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones

david@london

matilo -

left click on picture & scroll for a better view.

Matilo Telephones

Thanks David. I know how that works. But I still cannot read the little plate with makers information at the base of the candle of no 3.
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones

AE_Collector

Phone #2 is an AE (probably American Electric rather than Automatic Electric) #1 (not 1A) from about 1926 or thereabouts.

Phone #5 is an AE Stairstep Candlestick with Mercedes Dial. These are frequently ID'd with the year they were made but I am coming up blank at the moment....1912 maybe. Will see what others have to say.

Is the display cabinet a phone booth? Great idea Ron!

Terry

Hi Terry,

Yes, Its a Bell System Aluminum Phone Booth.  I remove the door and install either a large sheet of safety glass -or- maybe an oak faced piece of plywood for the backboard depending on how it is going to be set up. Oak plywood if I'm going to hang wall sets. (The door area now becomes the back of the display), then remove three of the four segmented glass panes in the back of the booth (which is now going to be the front) and replace with a large piece of safety glass.  Add a couple of slotted shelf rails on either side for the shelf supports, add glass shelves and it ends up looking pretty good. Especially when the interior light is on.

Ron

Ron Christianson

Hi David,

Thanks, Do you know what the dates are?

Ron

Ron Christianson

G-Man

Hi Ron-
Some of these are shown on the TCI website plus some of their members have literally written books on the histories so you may want to make an inquiry there. Difficult to tell from the photo but no. 4 looks as if it is a 208 instrument intended for use with 15A/23A key equipments.

Hi G-Man,

What I'm trying to find out are the dates.  Not the model numbers.  I'm not a member of TCI so I don't have access to their posts.

Thanks,  Ron
Ron Christianson

G-Man

Hi Ron-
While the identification of some of the sets such as the Kellogg instruments are obvious, others are not, especially the foreign instruments that are shown.

Without proper identification it is not possible to date them other than by date codes stamped within them.
However in some cases we can provide the date of introduction as in the case of the 208 which was premiered by the Bell System in April of 1933.

Since there are world class experts residing on the TCI and ATCA list that specialize in some of these instruments it may be worthwhile to join, especially since someone with your credentials would be considered as a peer, plus, there is no cost to join the TCI list.

Hi G-Man
I've received a couple of personal messages telling me how easy it is to join TCI.  I was not aware that it is free.  I have been a member of ATCA for over 30 years.  My number is 822.  I have asked for dating help before and most of the time all I get is brand names and model numbers.  It seems that not too many people know what years the telephones were actually in use.  I certainly don't know myself.
Most people mis-judge me because of the size & quality of my collection.  I am not wealthy!  As a matter of fact, I'm an old guy on a fixed income that is less than $500 a month. No retirement or any other benefits.
I have quite a few rare telephones but what most people don't know is I have never paid more than $200 for anything in my collection including vanities, potbellys and other rare stuff. For over 40 years I have found telephones in boarded up warehouses, basements, attics, barns, wells, yard sales and the like. I have never purchased a telephone for myself on ebay or at a telephone show.
I was relentless in my search and have been quite lucky.  Now, I'm trying to supplement our income by charging people for viewing various parts of our collection.  We used to show only at schools for free which was very rewarding but expensive to do. Now I'm going for the bucks. That is why I'm placing the collection in portable displays and am ready to travel around showing them.  We still do free shows for schools but I'm concentrating more on larger venues such as telephone companies centennial celebrations, trade shows, fairs, public events, museums etc. 
I will see what it takes to join TCI.
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it!  Ron
Ron Christianson

G-Man

Ron-

To make it clear, a fee is charged to join the TCI club but joining TCI's Singingwires listserve where most of the real research and action takes place is free. I have provided a link below.

Your comments are now making me feel old (I am) since I still recall the days when you were still a young buck working for the Redwood Empire Telco and regaled us with your tales of taking a quick deep in the streams on a hot summer day.

This is the Telephone Collectors International List Server. It is open to anyone interested in learning more about antique telephones, telephone history, and restoration and does not require membership in TCI or any other clubs or organizations, such as ATCA, THG or the ATCS.

If you wish to join this list, prospective members are required to state their specific interests,
as well as their FULL NAME, along with a simple explanation as to what they would like to achieve by joining in the "Comment to Owner" box. Incomplete answers will result in the application being rejected.

Our list guidelines can be reviewed at
http://www.telephonecollectors.org/list/index.htm

paul-f

Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line