"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE35 on the one or 2 condensers

Started by Slal, January 10, 2018, 08:19:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slal

Quote from: HarrySmith on January 17, 2018, 05:27:16 PM
That is a nice dial card, love the originals. That is also a very cool desk, I like all the vintage office stuff.

What is the box next to the typewriter with the Bates name on it? A kind of Rolodex?

Not sure what what you'd call it.  ; )  Only clue to age might be materials (brass & ferrous metal) & one entry:  "Adams Kennedy 2307 - 3033."

The brass wheel reads, "Bates Rotary Index Patents Pend'g | Orange, Illinois."  Late teens to  30's?  Periodicals in Google docs great research tool, but PDF files are *huge* if don't have some idea of year much less decade. 

Four digit numbers would have been circa?

Long way of asking if anyone knows anything about it.  ; )

Quote from: AE_Collector on January 17, 2018, 06:15:07 PM
Lots of "ifs" but if the condenser is original and if the Two Letter Code is XH and not HX then my theory is this is a December 1939 Phone which is entirely possible as 35s would be late about 1935 to 1940. See if you can find anymore Two Letter Codes anywhere including transmitter and receiver.

The fact that it is made in Chicago, not Chicago 7 puts it prior to postal zoning system introduction in 1943.

Any stamping on the back?

Terry

On the wall now, but luckily seller still has photos up.  Here is.  Looks like 9HX along with what might be its cat # for that year?  L370 'A6 20'

Nice tid-bit about "7 Chicago" is 1943 or later.  Into the notebook it goes.  ; )

Speaking of Chicago helping with dates, anyone ever see a name plate like this one?  Did they ever use "Registered Trademark" before "Chicago 7" ?

Photo is from ended eBay listing that I took a pass on.  Looked a little too shiny with chrome cradle.  (I'm not sure that was an option, but certainly not an expert.)

I ask, because it's disturbing to return to hobby and find repro nameplates, and even repro 'highboy' cradles.  Buyer beware on the bay or internet...  That much hasn't changed, but even if a 'highboy' came up, I'd have to be very careful if they're making fake parts for them.

Back to topic:

If helps assign a date range for this phone, condenser reads, "D6(covered by bracket) 1MF XH"  Screw on there pretty good.  If helps date, can use a ratchet extension to get rest of part number.

No 2 letter codes on anything I could find.  RCVR not marked.  XMTR = "AE Co. 35A7 | D-38273-A"   

HS has no imprints on it and that leads to another question since lost info on bad USB drive.  When did they start or stop putting imprints on type 38 handsets?

And how do you get December 1939 out of XH!  There's a method to AEs madness?  : D 

Seriously.  The level of knowledge here never ceases to amaze.

best

--Bruce

bob833

Hi Bruce, I'm the guy you bought the AE35 from on ebay. Sorry but there was no schematic inside when I received the phone. It was from an estate of a guy who worked for a telephone company. He must have also been a collector, the auction for his estate had about 50 phones. I got 19 of them> ;D

Slal

Quote from: bob833 on February 03, 2018, 08:32:25 AM
Hi Bruce, I'm the guy you bought the AE35 from on ebay. Sorry but there was no schematic inside when I received the phone. It was from an estate of a guy who worked for a telephone company. He must have also been a collector, the auction for his estate had about 50 phones. I got 19 of them> ;D

Thanks for reply.  Have to look up your handle now and see if other goodies from the estate sale.  : )

As for the diagram, no biggie.  Kind of icing on the cake.

best

--Bruce

PS:

I don't want to be overlong, but I've never met an EBay seller on-line.  If you have the time, or care to comment, I'm curious. 

How do you make a profit on eBay? 

I once made the mistake of listing an old fountain pen on the eBay, and had the reserve based what I'd pay for it via the grapevine.  Pen sold for more than that, so was quite happy until I found out how much pay-pal wanted.  Then eBay had the nerve to charge me a listing fee.  Seems msg, "list your spring cleaning items free!" had a price limit or something. 

I ended up making a whopping $17.00 which was hardly worth the time it took to take good photographs.  Want to say their combined 'take' was 33% !  Too much for me.  E-mail = less overhead.   ;)

Don't know how you manage it on eBay, but glad you do.  Be interested to hear your thoughts (horror stories?) as eBay seller.  I am sure you're not getting rich at it!   :D

Doug Rose

Welcome to the World according to eBay Bruce. Listing Fees....percentage of your selling and shipping, yes shipping!!....Paypal fees. You lose about 17% of what your item sold for. CraigsList is a real nice alternative, but you do not get the exposure. I been selling for close to 20 Years on eBay. I love eBay....I hate eBay....repeat...Doug
Kidphone

AE_Collector

I've sold a couple of things on Craig's List, Facebook marketplace and local online auction groups. If buyers can be flakey on eBay, these other sites can really showcase people at their worst! Promises, arrangements, no shows, more promises, some begging, last minute "will you take", no show again...repeat as many times as necessary to get the item out of your house.

Terry

Doug Rose

Terry....agreed...but you do get 100% of your money....if they show up  8)....Doug
Kidphone

HarrySmith

Yes, agreed also, I hate it but I love selling there. I always add 20% to what I need to cover all the fees. I also have an eBay store which allows me to list almost everything for free.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

bob833

Hey Bruce, here is a picture of my latest find, not your everyday buy but they do show up.  I am currently "working" on the to 750b  panel phones trying to get them functional, but the receiver cords are crumbling.
As for ebay, I do make a few bucks but you are right, I'm not getting rich. I look at sales and auctions as more of a treasure hunt.
I really like buying things for a buck or 2 and selling them for a few hundred. I bought a Honeywell furnace timing relay for a buck and sold it for $350, but that doesn't happen everyday.
And I do have a few horror stories, like a fragile package that had to be forwarded to 3 different addresses because the buyer thought ebay and paypal would have changed her address because she put a new credit card on her paypal account. She gave me 3 different addresses and USPS did forward it to all 3, she finally got it. She was stressing me out, she told me I need yoga or meditation.
Craigslist and Facebook are just as bad, you find many strange people. I was selling a Yamaha keyboard and an Amish guy called me. He said he doesn't own a car, can I deliver it 50 miles away. Hey must have had a computer or a smart phone to see the ad and call me.

Slal

Small world I guess.  If it's not inappropriate, can you guys give store name's or how to find you on the bay?  Maybe a PM since conflict of interest or something. 

Don't think CRPF was meant to be advertising.  I asked first if moderators/admin worried.  : )

Craig's List is indeed crazy.  Called about an ad for an old reel to reel-- might need a donor unit for parts.  Guy claimed he was a doctor and apologized-- can't let anyone know home address.  Local i-Hop OK?

Fine.  Great way to get robbed...

Turns out the guy was legit if driving a Benz "S" class any indication.  "The rich are different"

Anyway, kind of funny because here we are in the parking lot, chewing the fat about tape decks next to the truck of his car.

And soon visited by a deputy sheriff... Seems management at the i-Hop had seen some "shady dealings" and had called police! 

Deputy quite nice about it, but maybe one of those stories where you'd have to have been there.

"Psst!  Hey buddy.. Wanna buy a hot tape deck from 1972?"   ;)

AE_Collector

Not really any problem buying, selling or giving out contact info here. We are on alert a little when a brand new member starts trying to sell things with his first post but as long as no one is getting annoyed (or ripped off) by anyone's selling activities I think we are fine with it. I wouldn't mind if there was more buy & sell activity between members but I think the bottom line for anyone trying to sell quite a bit of phone stuff is that there just isn't enough traffic here. Remember that there is a fair bit of traffic that has never registered as a member thus they can't PM the seller. Sellers can include their email address in listings though.

Terry

bob833

Bruce, I noticed your typewriter in the one picture.  I just picked up an Oliver No. 9 typewriter, it looks strange so I had to bid on it. Some people call it a "bat wing"  because of the looped type bars the come in from the sides.  I'm going to try to clean it up and get it somewhat working. I think the pencil holder on it is broken though.

kleenax

Quote from: bob833 on February 05, 2018, 06:43:36 PM
Bruce, I noticed your typewriter in the one picture.  I just picked up an Oliver No. 9 typewriter, it looks strange so I had to bid on it. Some people call it a "bat wing"  because of the looped type bars the come in from the sides.  I'm going to try to clean it up and get it somewhat working. I think the pencil holder on it is broken though.

You know, I think that I have the EXACT wooden shipping crate for that typewriter!
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC