News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Plane Talk

Started by tallguy58, September 17, 2018, 09:59:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tallguy58

Forgive me if this has been discussed, but being an airplane junkie I saw this on You Tube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r10wAV9rZKM

Turn out it's a film on telecommunication by A T & T. Look out for the nice 10 button sets and the numerous weird public phones that were all the rage in '65.
That call to the airline would not be routed to Charlotte today but probably Bangladesh.

Enjoy!
Cheers........Bill

Butch Harlow

I had never seen that, thanks it was awesome. The 60's were so modern!
Butch Harlow

Jim Stettler

That is worth watching.
Thanks,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

MaximRecoil

They show a few 554s from 5:57 to 6:12 and their switch hooks are stuck in the down position.

Pourme

~

I like the 10 button phone.

I've never seen that rotor dial weather speaker thingy before...wonder when it will show up on EBAY?

Thanks for sharing!
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

jsowers

The announcer through the whole thing was Larry Thor. He was from Canada and all over the radio and in the movies in the 1950s as the announcer on Suspense and starring in Broadway Is My Beat on radio and he played mostly bit parts in movies as an announcer or a police detective or ship's captain. Much of his work is uncredited, but his voice was so distinctive that you can just tell it was Larry Thor.

This movie was fun to see and it's amazing what computers have done for air travel since 1965.
Jonathan

compubit

I was intrigued by the 3 spot panel payphones...

I would think that one could "build" a rotary "dial-the-weather" psystem using asterisk (or maybe some other computer-based method)

J
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

Jim Stettler

Quote from: compubit on September 19, 2018, 12:12:06 AM
I was intrigued by the 3 spot panel payphones...

J
So was I.  I liked the skinny one better than the standard width.
JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

FABphones

Quote from: compubit on September 19, 2018, 12:12:06 AM
I would think that one could "build" a rotary "dial-the-weather" psystem using asterisk (or maybe some other computer-based method)
J

I was thinking how the weatherboard in the clip worked back then. My guess is it had three (or four) standard messages and early each morning some guy had to open up the back and flick each individual destinations switch to one of three or four tape recordings. 'Sunny' ' Rainy' 'Windy' 'Snowy'....
I would have liked to have seen inside it.

Nowadays, we don't need to build anything ourselves.
We can just ask Doogle: 'I'm sorry, but my team are working on that'...   ::) ;D
Ah. Perhaps not.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble