"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Interstate Telephone Company Public Telephone Sign Info desired

Started by rfkimba, September 18, 2018, 01:45:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rfkimba

Hi Collectors:
I was offered this excellent condition Interstate Telephone Co 12 x 17.5 inch DS porcelain flange sign. Reflections in one photo clearly indicate porcelain ledging. I did locate a photo of this sign on  the Telephone Archive Sign Gallery website.  Wikipedia indicates it was founded in 1896 under another name, its name was changed to Interstate Telephone Co  in 1950 and now is listed under the  ITC phone cooperative based in Georgia. The round telephone insulator pole   logo  also does show on several  other phone co. signs including the Associated Telephone Company and General Telephone System  sign I own(see below)  , as well as on  the Southwestern Associated Telephone  Co and Illinois Commercial Telephone Co. signs. It was offered for $500  which seemed a little high for this independent even with the excellent condition. 
Any thoughts on rarity ,value and history  would be most  appreciated.
Thanks,
Bob Farber ATCA, TCI

Sargeguy

I cannot recall having seen that particular sign before, an elongated Interstate flange, but I do not collect Independent telco signs.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Fabius

One side of the flange appears to be painted black? I wonder what the two holes at the bottom of the sign are for? The sign already has an arrow.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

rfkimba

Hi Tom,
Does the sign look authentic?
I assume some other signage hung off the two hooks below the arrow. The the offering price appear a bit high? Seller is firm on the price.
Thanks
Bob Farber

Jim Stettler

Tom,
do you  know if it is referenced in any of Bob Alexander's telephone sign books or other references ? That would be a deciding factor for me if I was paying high.
I am paying reasonable and I like the sign then I would buy it.
If I like it and the price seems high then I would try to find an example in a good reference book and base my spending accordingly. I don't necessarily mind overpaying a bit for a good example. I do like to recoup my purchase price= or + when I get rid of an item.

That is my method,
BTW I like the look of the sign.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

rfkimba

Jim,
To my surprise the identical sign design down to the two lower mounting holes are listed in Bob Alexanders third edition of A Collectors Guide to Antique Porcelain Telephone Signs on P94 described as 16"x20" while the offered sign is 12"x17.5" . It was listed at $300-350 in value for a book with a 2010 copyright.
I did on second review find 2 other photos of it  on P457  of Ron Knappen"s Payphone history book . There are no recent auction reports  that I could find.
Seller wouldn't budge with my  $450 response.
Thanks
Bob Farber

Fabius

If real, and it very well may be, it's a scarce sign. I think the seller is at the top end in the price range. Bit the bullet and go the extra $50.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905