and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Adding White to Letters on Kellogg 1000 "Red Bar"

Started by jjflory, January 26, 2018, 09:05:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick in Manitou

kleenax

Quote from: TelePlay on January 31, 2018, 10:06:47 AM
Just to clarify, 2 different restorers here, the Rebar was done by Ktownphoneco, the Ashtray done by McMurdosilver. No one has ever found out what McMurdosilver does to get that finish on all of his projects.

I have conversed with "mcmurdosilver" several times, and he has shared with me his process. He is a vintage Auto restorer with years of experience, and simply uses his expertise in custom automotive finishing to get that super shine and luster. He does NOT coat the bakelite with anything either! However, you can NEVER underestimate a good, quality photo set-up either! A great photo will work wonders on your eBay auctions!
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

kleenax

Here's what I use (photo attached). You can get these Sharpies (called "PAINT PENINTURE"), basically a paint-pen with paint in them and a nice, rounded felt tip, in either water-based or oil-based paint. They come in various colors, and work GREAT! When I use it on a phone that I put up on eBay, I usually utilize the water-based version so that the future owner can easily remove it if they want. You can always put a little something over it if you want to make it more permanent.

One of the troubles with using some enamels or acrylics is that when trying to remove the excess from a PAINTED phone, you can sometimes compromise the painted finish on the phone (my payphone projects for example). Certainly not a problem on a bakelite phone, but it does tend to dull up your nice, buffed finish!
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

jjflory