News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My Own Personal Opinion.

Started by Dan/Panther, March 15, 2018, 02:29:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

I would like to say the following and let it be understood that I in NO WAY am speaking as a moderator, or representing the CRPF in any manner. THIS IS MY PERSONAL OPINION.

Free speech is NOT covered as written in the first amendment of the United States Constitution, covering things said on privately run Forums such as the CRPF.
This is an international effort, accessible ONLY through membership, and is not open freely WITHOUT membership to the general public of the world. The first amendment protects citizens of the United States within the States or territories of the United States ONLY. People falsely assume that just because you live in the United States, you can say what you please on the internet. On the contrary, You are quite WRONG. Facebook for example can put you in Facebook jail for offensive content in your posts. Which they can ultimately ban you for. Recently we had issues with one member that we had to eventually ban because of derogatory comments, NO FREE SPEECH THERE. Every forum I belong to reserves the right to ban or suspend a persons membership to a private forum for whatever that forum deems offensive. 

Check this link to obtain further information.

https://www.comparitech.com/blog/vpn-privacy/the-first-amendment-what-it-means-free-speech-online/

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

HarrySmith

Agreed. This forum is what it is only because we have moderators and membership rules. I always say this is the best forum on the net and I mean it. We had a problem with a couple of people and it was remedied. Those people are gone and things are returning to normal.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

AE_Collector

Okay I likely didn't put enough thought into my post here as it is being misinterpreted. To try to make this right I am just removing it to allow this discussion to proceed without being swayed in an unintended direction. I may have misinterpreted the intent as well. Sorry to have inadvertently made it appear that I was pointing at anyone who has posted in this topic.

Terry

HarrySmith

I was not referring to that discussion. I do not want to reopen that can of worms.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

AE_Collector

Oh sorry, didn't mean you Harry, I just didn't want any past discussion to continue here even though my example came from that discussion.

Terry

Dan/Panther

PLEASE note, I did not refer to any specific topic or person, neither did I post as a moderator, nor did I say i speak fro the CRPF. I simply stated the legality of a subject as it is written.
We need to make it perfectly clear to new members that we as a "closed forum"  reserve the right to sensor anything the Administration deems offensive, or inappropriate content, PERIOD.
I for one, like mentioned elsewhere am sick and tired of people thinking they have the right to say ANYTHING they want on a forum, and have some misguided thought they they are protected, or immune from censorship to say anything they wish. This is NOT the case, we as a closed group can establish any requirements we wish. This is the first and ONLY forum I have ever belonged to that for the first 10 years being a member I do not recall ANY disruptions due to personal attacks, and those restrictions were never needed.
I personally feel that the situation developing around areas in the world today, have confused people into thinking anything goes. Maybe in your own home, BUT NOT HERE ON CRPF, we don't like it, and I think it's time we made it clear,  we will not tolerate ANYONE that chooses to try top upset our apple cart.

NOW as a moderator, I will say, I will do anything in my power to correct, or stop anyone, from getting personal, derogatory, or condescending to any other member here, and will DEMAND that all members use due diligence and respect for other members, until said time that said authority is removed from me.

If you have personal issues, LEAVE THEM AT THE DOOR, WE DON'T WANT NOR NEED THEM. We are here to discuss and ENJOY the hobby of collecting Phones. ANYONE is welcome, Just check your personal issues at the door PLEASE !

Dan D/P Robinson

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

LarryInMichigan

I think that members of a forum should look at their membership like being a guest in some else's home.  When one is a guest in some else home, he/she is obligated to follow the rules of the host or leave.  If someone wants to enter my house and walk on my carpet with their muddy shoes, smoke, use obscene or abusive language, or insult or threaten me, I am entirely justified in telling (or ordering) them to leave.  In this case, the forum moderators are the hosts, so we have to follow their rules or leave.  There should not need to be any further arguments.  Fortunately, I have no idea what happened on C*NET.

Larry

dsk

My own personal opinion:  All ow us may feel hurt, be frustrated and angry, and sometimes it is to much and those filters we usually have are not enough to stop us coming with something far from related to the basics of this forum, or in a way of expression that many her feels are far across the border of polite language. How ever it is comfortable or not to read this, it may be that we are the safety valve for the steam boiler.

It is no way the boiler fix it selves by just standing there and criticize it constructive critics or not. It has to cool down.

It is important to not fire up under that boiler until it is safe again, we try to repair it once, maybe twice or more, but if we cant get the boiler running safe we have to take it out of service. Maybe someone other may solve the problem?

I guess we have tried and now we have to wait and see how it works out. I  have no more ideas about how we may contribute to make it better.

Our moderators are doing a good job, and we should grateful for their patience.

dsk

Doug Rose

I agree with everything that has been said about this unfortunate topic. CNet is not the Forum. I am not even sure what CNet is or care to know.

The Forum needs rules and we all abide by them. Moderators do a wonderful job.

That being said, there is no place in the world we live in for hurtful comments about ethnicity. We all bleed the same color.

My father was a wonderful man and loved his son more than anything. Back at you Dad. My father was Archie Bunker! This topic really hits home to me.

It's a hobby, it's supposed to be fun!...Doug
Kidphone

AL_as_needed

The very essence of this forum right here:

Quote from: Doug Rose on March 16, 2018, 09:27:58 AM
It's a hobby, it's supposed to be fun!...Doug

The moderators are the voice of reason and the gate keepers.

And like most hobbies, discussion on and about phones requires no political point of view, no particular age, creed, color, or gender.....just a love for phones. Those who bring these other points in as means to form an argument clearly have bigger issues in life than phone troubles.
TWinbrook7

Pourme

~

I too, agree with the sentiment being presented in this thread. I am grateful for the wisdom and patience demonstrated by the forum moderators. Their duties can be very demanding and under appreciated.

The sad part is that subject matter that should be common practice & common sense, has to be spelled out to some in today's society.

Benny
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Russ Kirk

I recently saw a meme on Facebook. I am quoting it from memory:

Before posting ask yourself 3 questions.
It is true?
Is it relevant to the discussion?
Be kind.

The last one is the most important. I just try to be nice and kind in my posts. If I ever feel like something angers me, I let it go, smile and move on...... 

After all, as Doug says: It's a hobby, it's supposed to be fun!...
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

19and41

I have no idea of what prompted this discussion.  I have and will continue to converse with people here as though they were in the room with me.  And in a manner that I would want to be spoken to.  That has worked since I started on the internet and it still seems to.  This is a nice place to spend some time. The people make it so.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke