News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric model 500 L/M ringer question

Started by Holtzer-Cabot, July 02, 2016, 06:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AE_Collector

I merged the two topics together here so it might be a little disjointed now. We prefer keeping all discussions about a particular phone together in one place but will happily merge topics together afterwards if multiple topics are in progress. Past experience here shows that one ongoing topic is the easiest to follow in real time and of the most use to those solving problems in the future.

Terry

poplar1

Move your black ringer wire to F (with green line cord wire) and put the slate (gray) ringer wire on K.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Holtzer-Cabot

Quote from: poplar1 on July 02, 2016, 09:55:00 PM
Move your black ringer wire to F (with green line cord wire) and put the slate (gray) ringer wire on K.
Is there a slate (gray) wire coming off the ringer? All I see are a tanish wire, another tan wire with red stripes, a black wire, and a red wire. Red is on L2. Tan(?) wire is on K. Black is on F. And tan/red striped wire is on A. Is this correct for my phone?
Western Electric - A unit of the Bell System and main supplier of AT&T since 1882! -15 year old phone collector!

poplar1

The one ringer wire that is not connected (in your photo) goes to K. Light color wire without stripes.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Holtzer-Cabot

Quote from: poplar1 on July 03, 2016, 08:01:05 AM
The one ringer wire that is not connected (in your photo) goes to K. Light color wire without stripes.
Thank you! I got it to ring now! :D The ring sounds awesome too! I love the classic two-tone ring of the 500 sets.
Western Electric - A unit of the Bell System and main supplier of AT&T since 1882! -15 year old phone collector!

Holtzer-Cabot

Quote from: unbeldi on July 02, 2016, 08:52:43 PM
Your set is either a 500L or a 500M. Yes, those have a separate terminal board and the L1 terminal is not connected to the hook switch, that wire now goes to the board.
Wiring is identical in principle, but slightly different in terms of connections only.
Thanks! :) I got it to ring now!