News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Help

Started by LarryH, October 08, 2010, 03:31:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryH

Hey,  Can you guys tell me about this phone?  It works but something wierd happens when it is plugged up to the jack.  It causes an echo on all my other phones...  What can I do about this? 

Also curious how old it is.

Jim Stettler

It is an early AE Spacemaker.
Other folks will know the specifics.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You can put a mod back on these.
There are curved top trimline wall bases that had a modular conversion plate. The curve is the same.
You can cut down the plate and paint it black. Drill using the exisiting holes as your template.

Jim
FYI mod 554 plates retrofit nicely to AE90's and WE 354's.

There were also mod backplates for 2554's and  a straight top
trimline backplate. there may of been more than 1 variation.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Wallphone

That's an Oliver #5 typewriter, wait, you mean the phone. That could be an AE 43 Spacemaker or the later model which I think was a #83. It has the network in the phone but no room for a ringer. There are wiring diagrams of it in the TCI Library.

Jim Stettler

You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

HarrySmith

Welcome ;D
We will need more details to help diagnose your issue. Is it wired to the oak box next to it? There may be an issue with wiring.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

LarryInMichigan

LarryH,

Welcome to the forum.  I have the same phone here.  Can you unscrew the bottom screw from the phone shell, remove the shell, and post a picture of the insides of the phone?  We might be able to see if something is connected improperly.

Larry

LarryH

It is connected to a wall jack.  I don't have an external box for this phone.

stub

LarryH,
           Welcome to the forum!!! Nice AE 43 , made from 1938 to some time in the 50's. Automatic Electric didn't date everything as well as others.
             Post picture as directed by LarryInMichigan .
            I have encountered some 43's with the same number ( L  397  AO  ) wired two different ways , with different diagrams. Your phone might have the diagram on the inside of the front shell , if not I can try to post the right one after you show us the insides.    stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

LarryH

Here are a couple pics.  I hope they help.  I really like this phone...

LarryH

According to the diagram it is hooked up correctly...

LarryH

One more problem that I noticed is that even though my AE is hung up, if someone is on another phone i can hear their voice coming over the ear piece...  What is going on here?  Thanks so much for your help guys.  I love this forum.

stub

LarryH,
           Try moving the line in wire to the right of the hookswitch contacts. It looks like that wire is interfering with the contacts. That may be why it won't go off hook. Try it with the cover off. Hope this helps , if not , I defer to my colleagues with greater experience!!!!!!!!   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

LarryH

If that was the case wouldn't there be a dial tone audible if none else was on the phone?  That wire doesn't seem to be in the way.

LarryInMichigan

It is interesting that your diagram is different than the one in my AE 43.  Try removing the black wire from terminal 3.

Larry

LarryH

black wire isn't actually hooked up.  Just looks like it in the photo.