News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

I'/ve seen 1st, 2nd, & 3rd, but not this.

Started by Dan/Panther, January 25, 2010, 11:38:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

What does the X stand for ?
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dan

Experimental? A prototype? Just a guess. That day was a wednesday, so it wasn't anything special.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dennis Markham

Dan/Panther

Jim Stettler

I think X means "special/non standard" . Do you know if it is non standard?
Atypical is always cool.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Dan/Panther

Nothing remarkable about the phone. Typical Tenite colored 302.
D/P

Dennis Markham

Dan (and others),

I did some looking around Paul Fassbender's site for the answer to this question.  I'm sure somewhere there must be a BSP about the housing markings.  I'm not real sure how to go about searching for the proper BSP.  I did just e-mail Paul and discussed the housing marking and asked for his opinion and possibly if he could point us in the right direction to seek the information about these date stampings.  The "lore" has been, as we all know that the date stamping indicates the date and work shift (1, 2 or 3).  I would like to find out if that is factual and if so, what does the X indicate?  I have seen it before and it was discussed, probably on one of the List Serves from the phone clubs.

Thanks too to JimS for pointing out the need to back up "lore" with fact (in some other postings).  I would really like to know the solid answer to this date stamping issue as it is comes up often.

I'll report back when I learn something concrete.

~Dennis

Dan/Panther

While we wait. Lets make a game of it. Lets guess what this means.

I'm going to guess that it means it was an extended shift, meaning after 8 hours of say the day shift with no second shift working in the plant at the time. Maybe the plant was only running 1 shift on that particular day. They knew it was not second shift, but it was after the normal 8 hours of the day shift. Maybe for inventory purposes or accounting to track over time produced items.
D/P

Dennis Markham

I can't even come up with a good "guess".  I think your theory is as good as any. 

jsowers

According to what I've been able to find out online, the Shadeland Ave. plant in Indianapolis was built in 1950. This green 302 may have been made elsewhere, possibly the Hawthorne Works in Chicago. The X probably does mean an extended shift, like D/P says. Sounds good to me.

I can't tell when in 1950 the Shadeland plant opened. If anyone happens to know, please post.

Also, maybe you haven't seen this nice ad, from 1955, picturing the Shadeland plant at third shift. In the picture at bottom right, it looks like they're assembling yellow handsets with straight gray cords! Where are all those phones today?
Jonathan