News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Polane coated phone resurrected

Started by finlover, March 07, 2010, 05:55:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finlover

Would you really want to be known as the Atomic Newt Wrangler? 

Dan/Panther

Greg;
Would you PLEASE post a before photo, and an after photo of one of your phones.
I look at the bottom of this phone and even the inside of the feet look like new. Where do you find these phones in what must be fairly good condition when you start.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

finlover

Quote from: Dan/Panther on March 08, 2010, 12:30:54 PM
Greg;
Would you PLEASE post a before photo, and an after photo of one of your phones.
I look at the bottom of this phone and even the inside of the feet look like new. Where do you find these phones in what must be fairly good condition when you start.
D/P

Okay, D/P, that's a good idea.
Most of my phones come from eBay and look fairly rough when I get them.  Usually the cadmium plated centers are rusty, as they were on this one.  I use naval jelly to remove the rust, then mask them off and spray them with a cadmium colored paint from Eastwood.  If the black is rusty, I touch it up with a small brush and Rustoleum satin black.  The rubber feet get a little Armor All.

Dan/Panther

Greg;
The difference between your phones, and many others, is clearly your attention to detail, and the devotion to spend the extra time it takes to get it right.
If there were a phone restorers hall of fame, the first 3 inductees would be, Greg, Jorge, and Dennis.
I hope to make the ballot, in 2020.
D/P

JorgeAmely

D/P:
Thank you for the honor, but I don't think I qualify.

Take a look at the work of Frank Franowsky (ebay handle mcmurdosilver).

He has some cool albums here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/telephonenut

More information about his work here also:
http://www.telephonearchive.com/phones/kg/kg925.html

He truly deserves to be there.
Jorge

Dennis Markham

Thank you Dan for the compliment.  As they used to say down south, I'm in "tall cotton" with those two.  But like Jorge said, Frank "McMurdosilver" steps up a few steps higher, taking restoration to the next level.  I think his work may qualify as the difference between refurbishing and restoring.  I don't think the phones rolled off the assembly line as nice as his stuff is when he's finished.

finlover

Thanks, D/P--that's the ultimate compliment!!  But the other inductees are right: Frank's stuff is a cut above.  Thank the sweet Lord he doesn't do 500s or I'd be in trouble!  I would like to see a non-black phone from him sometime though.

Dan/Panther

Maybe we should start our own hall of Fame, and nominate one phone maximum each month, membership votes on the winner, that person is restorer of the month, and must set out the following month. At the end of the year we select Restoration of the year and it goes into a permanent Hall.
Phone must have before and after photos, all work must be done by the entrant, Phone must be original parts wise for the year and model represented, (No aftermarket cords or parts allowed. But does not have to be all matching dates.
Just an idea.
D/P

jeremylivin

Beautiful phone!

And I like Dans idea.
Jeremy Livingston