News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Unusual Small Wall Phone - Value???

Started by Systemagic, July 16, 2010, 01:11:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Systemagic

Well, I picked up the screws today and now the phone sits in one piece for the first time in God knows how many decades.

I also took some photos of the dial interior.  I don't know how you guys hope to tell very much given how much of the mechanism is obscured by the top piece.  Also, as I've mentioned all along, if the repair is to cost (or time) consuming, as a reseller, it may not be worth my while to undertake it. 

I'm very happy with the improvement in structural integrity and appearance that the two little screws have provided.

Thank-you!

LarryInMichigan

Systemagic,

We really need to see the rear side of the dial to understand what has gone wrong with it.  The spring which returns the dial is on the rear.

Larry

LarryInMichigan

This picture, and others from Jorge's album shows the mechanism with the spring.  Though Jorge's pictures are from a newer model of AE dial, this mechanism is about the same as on your dial.

http://picasaweb.google.com/Amelyenator/AutomaticElectricDialOverhaul#5335110310834213778

Larry

Systemagic

It looks like the primary shortcoming of the spring is its nonexistence - along with the brass mechanism atop it.

Looks to me like this won't be a cost-effective repair for resale.

Dennis Markham

This may be something Steve Hilsz (the dial guy) would be able to fix up for you.  He does great dial work and does it inexpensively.  This is his web site:

http://www.navysalvage.com/

He is an extremely friendly fellow, does great work and is fast.  Your dial is worth getting repaired, in my opinion.

HarrySmith

I agree, Steve is a very friendly, genuine nice guy. He can fix any dial very cheaply, he restores a dial complete, disassemble, clean & calibrate for $6.00. There would be extra on yours for parts I am sure but I also agree with Dennis it is worth repairing. You may not have enough room for resale of the spacesaver but once repaired you can sell the dial alone for a decent price. Someone can probably offer a dial to use in the phone cheap so you can resell.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

JorgeAmely

I suggest sending the dial to Steve for cleaning and repair. For cleaning it should be $6 plus parts plus shipping back to you.

Jorge

Systemagic

Thanks everyone.

I totally understand your enthusiasm.  The craftsman side of myself shares it.  It would feel great to get in back in original condition.

The part of me that makes a living selling collectibles can't reconcile it, however.  I have a house full of hundreds of collectibles and I promised myself, years ago, not to fall so much in love with anything so much that I don't want to sell it.  This is similar in that even at $6 plus 2-way shipping, (Shipping from Canada to the US is typically more expensive than the other way) it will result in a overall loss for the effort.

I figure I could probably sell this phone to the lay public for about $10 less than if it had a working dial.  The dial repair icnl shipping costs more.

I very much appreciate all your help, and am very happy with the structural repair but just can't economically justify the dial repair.

I certainly know where to take my phone questions, in future, however, the next time I come across one of these scarce beauties.

Thanks again!

AE_Collector

Okay, so I just opened up an 80E expecting that it would have the exact same dial spring. I am like 10 miles from Systemagic and an AECo 43A is worth more than a beat up discolored 80E rotary.

However, the dial spring doesn't appear to be removable on the 80E's dial. Another cost saving I guess. The entire 80E dial could be dropped under the hood of the 43A except of course the 80E dial doesn't have letters/numbers.

So I removed the plastic faceplate of the dial to see if it has the clips to hold the porcelain but of course it doesn't. It would take a fair bit of experimenting and fooling aorund here to see if everything would go together but I just don;t have the time at the moment.

Anyone else out there played around with new and old AECo dials such as these?

Terry

stub

Terry,
          The AE 80's dial return spring will work. The dial won't fit. If
          Systemagic is game for trying I'll help all I can.    stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

AE_Collector

Quote from: stub1953 on July 21, 2010, 01:04:59 AM
Terry,
          The AE 80's dial return spring will work. The dial won't fit. If
          Systemagic is game for trying I'll help all I can.    stub

So an 80 (not 80E) has the removable dial return spring? Maybe I can find a beater here for him.

Terry

stub

Terry,
         Yeah 802 as I call them. I just took one off and put it back on. I think we can talk Systemagic thru putting the spring back on.  It has 1  1/2 turns to get it back on.
           If he wants to try we need to move this thread to Troubleshooting . stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Systemagic

That's very gracious and helpful of all of you.  I thought this thread was going to be over but, I thought I'd check and, you guys are still here.

Let me know if you have a beater with the proper spring, Terry, and I'll come and pick it up.