Gilas' $28 Indigo black 302.  All stamped with a S10-46 date
3 (15.8%)
dsk's first AE 40 for $9.99 on ebaY
3 (15.8%)
Tom B's Concorde Blue GPO 706 £19.99 and postage
4 (21.1%)

Total Members Voted: 19

AE_Collector

Post your "Finds of the Month" for October 2012 Here.

"Finds of the Month" are items that you acquired this month that you are particulatly excited about either because of its rarity, the difficulty you had in trying to find one for your collection or the exceptional "deal" you got on it etc.

Terry

kleenax

OK, you guys probably won't believe this one, but here it is: My "October 2012" find of the month ;-0

I know it's named "Sept2012", but I haven't picked them up yet, so "technically", it falls in October ;-)

This is only a sample of what is there! After I put my camera back in the truck, I found 3 - WE 2-boxers (with pony rcvrs), and a few more payphones.

Photos for your enjoyment! It will be easily 3 pick-up trucks full.

https://picasaweb.google.com/100244066488499036666/September2012Find  Dead link, 2-8-2014
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

rdelius

I see a couple of Grey-western sets and a cast coin guage on the red set.Possible there might have origional hooks in the junk boxes

kleenax

Quote from: rdelius on October 03, 2012, 10:30:15 PM
I see a couple of Grey-western sets and a cast coin guage on the red set.Possible there might have origional hooks in the junk boxes
Yea, I found about a dozen early twin-coil relays (with the early flat magnet), and you can see the BUNCH of early daisy-wheel dial housings for Grays. I also saw a box with the early 1B top cards too. I'm hoping somewhere like you mentioned that there are some hook switches and 10A trans mounts. The gentleman that contacted me about this stuff (the owner) said that back in the 70's, he was dis-assembling 2-piece payphones, and said that he didn't throw anything away to his recollection! That's where all of those 706 receivers came from; off of old payphones :-(

Got my fingers crossed! He says that "somewhere" are the boxes of vault doors & locks/keys.
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

Greg G.

Quote from: kleenax on October 03, 2012, 10:24:23 PM
OK, you guys probably won't believe this one, but here it is: My "October 2012" find of the month ;-0

https://picasaweb.google.com/100244066488499036666/September2012Find

Wow!  Tell us more how/where you found this stash!
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

kleenax

Wow!  Tell us more how/where you found this stash!
[/quote]

Yea, I don't know what it is Terry, but I do seem to run into some "serious" stashes of phones! ;-)

I have been working on this elderly gentleman (92 yrs old) since 2003 when I met him. At that time, he stated that he had "100's of old phones", but would never elaborate OR let me see them! He told me also that he had an old wooden payphone too that took Silver Dollars, and he "knew" that it was worth more than the $500 that someone offered him for it back in the 1980's. So, a couple of times a year, I "bug" him about making the trip to his place to see his phones. Well, 9 yrs later, he actually gave me a call!  You could have knocked me over with a feather!

Needless to say, yes I also saw the Silver Dollar paystation there, and it's a No. 2 Gray in black walnut, and it needs some work, but seems to be all there. As for the other stuff, oddly, it seems to be primarily desk sets with (attached/original) magneto boxes. I wanted to look through that pile of 102's & 202's, because I was almost sure that I saw an AA1 or several in there, but I didn't get to spend too much time looking because he was taking me on a "tour" of the facilities. I think I counted 4 or 5 cordboards, and a couple of those small AE PBX boards too. Also a couple of REALLY old tone generators and other stuff from an OLD central office. I will post more photos, and even do an article for Singing Wires for the TCI members when the "digging" begins.

I don't have actual "possession" yet, but he called me yesterday and stated when asked that he wanted me to "take it all"; not just pick and choose, so I consented to taking the entire lot; whatever that ends up being. The Silver Dollar pay station he would like me to restore, and he wants to keep that for his grandson; a very noble gesture (uh, his grandson is 43 :). That was why I was looking for a couple of parts the other day.

I will certainly be taking a BUNCH of the stuff to my show here in Mason, MI to sell April 5th & 6th, 2013. It's kind of cool having your OWN phone show, cause if I have 20 tables of stuff to sell, it doesn't cost me anything ;-)
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

DavePEI

It is always impossible to compete with Ray's wonderful finds, but I would be very surprised if this doesn't beat his find in price - $0, Free, Nada, Zilch, a gift from someone who heard I collected phones!

This is a 1950 dial-less 302, with all matching dates:

Base 12-50
Inductor 12-9-50
Ringer 12-9-50
Receiver element: 12-3-50
Transmitter: 12-5-50

Original cloth cords that are in great shape.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=7727.msg85195#msg85195

This was used as a Hotel phone in room #62 according to the dial center. Plastic and the bakelite F1 handset is in great shape other than some paint spotting which has been removed successfully. Only final light buffing remains to be done. I don't know how it got from the hotel to the basement of the fellow who gave it to me.

Dial-less 302s, or even 302s are very rare here, as we were independent territory and Uniphones were the order of the day during the time of the 300 series..

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=7727.0

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Greg G.

You have to tell us the story of how it came into your possesion.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

DavePEI

Quote from: Brinybay on October 07, 2012, 02:21:11 PM
You have to tell us the story of how it came into your possesion.

Hi Briny:

Actually the story is quite simple - one of my old co-workers mentioned to a friend that I collected phones, and they said, "I wonder if he would want the old black phone I have in the basement". When I heard about it, I figured it was likely a 500, but when it arrived, I found that it was something different! Was I ever surprised when I discovered not only was it different, but all matching dates! I felt like I was the first person to open it up since 1950!

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Vern P

Yes this is not a great find, but I did want to share it. WE 10 buttom Trimline with both correct cord.  $2, thirf store. Color is White, bit dark.

Vern P

Gilas

I think I will nominate my $28 Indigo black 302.  All stamped inside with an S10-46 date.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=7736.0

dsk

I got my first AE40, or I bought it today for $9.99, postage will probably take a week or two.

The postage is the real high cost, but I'm proud of keeping the USPS running alone  ;)
dsk

HowardPgh

d_s_k
Very nice looking AE40. These are so satisfying to clean up and polish as they come out looking so pretty.  I hope it is packed well for you, they don't tolerate any shock.  These are such fragile beauties!-Howard
( I'll bet you can't tell that I like AE 40s!)
Howard

AE_Collector

I like the "40" on the right!

Terry

poplar1

Is the one on the right a 34 or a 40?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.