News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1939 Metal North Electric Galion

Started by MagicMo, June 29, 2013, 04:28:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MagicMo

I picked up this Galion phone on eBay last week. It has a metal base and marked 1939. Any info about this phone??
Thanks
Mo
Practice Kindness :)

MagicMo

Handset markings

WesternElectricBen

I have one from 1961 and I figured out they use 302 insides, and I was told they use a Canadian dial. But that looks a bit different than mine, having a different base but yours still does have 302 parts. I can't remember where I made the post...

Ben

AE_Collector

WesternElectricBen

oops, I probably ment Canadian Dial.

poplar1

North bought the F-1 transmitters, HA-1 receivers and 101A induction coils from Western Electric. This is the first North I have seen with a matching date WE ringer--usually they have North ringers. It may be original since it has a 1939 date. Does anyone have a North set this old with a North ringer?

North made their own dials, but they also made a version of this phone with 5 dial leads specifically for WE dials--the wiring diagram on this version shows a WE dial. Other dials--like AE--will also work but I don't know if these were supplied by North or added later.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

MagicMo

It also has a date of 12/39 inside the metal housing. H190.

TelePlay

Having watched Galions but never got into collecting them, is it safe to say that all Norths with a metal shell do not have the rear vents and all Norths with bakelite shells do? (Top phone is bakelite and the bottom is metal)

paul-f

There are some notes and photos from past observations here:

http://www.paul-f.com/north1.htm
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line