News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

3 Slot Payphone Questions

Started by whoistoddgallen, July 05, 2013, 10:33:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whoistoddgallen

I have read many post on this forum, but am a bit overwhelmed where to start! First post too so please be kind.
What I have:
I recently received the pictured phone from my parents basement. I am currently at work so I do not have any information, but what can been seen in the picture. Whatever would be helpful I can tell you when I get home. I do not have any of the keys or t-bar in order to open the phone up at the moment either. Advice on the best course of action for this would be appreciated.
What I would like to do:
In a perfect world I would like to be able to hook this up to an old cell phone and use the payphone to make VOIP calls via the cell phone. If this is a terrible/impossible idea let me know.

Any help on where I should start or information that I should have would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance.

DavePEI

Quote from: whoistoddgallen on July 05, 2013, 10:33:52 AM
I have read many post on this forum, but am a bit overwhelmed where to start! First post too so please be kind.
What I have:
I recently received the pictured phone from my parents basement. I am currently at work so I do not have any information, but what can been seen in the picture. Whatever would be helpful I can tell you when I get home. I do not have any of the keys or t-bar in order to open the phone up at the moment either. Advice on the best course of action for this would be appreciated.
What I would like to do:
In a perfect world I would like to be able to hook this up to an old cell phone and use the payphone to make VOIP calls via the cell phone. If this is a terrible/impossible idea let me know.

Any help on where I should start or information that I should have would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance.
No Matter what you do with it, and before we can advise you, you will need to get it open first. The reason is, it depends upon how much has been taken out of the insides first, and that we can't tell unless we can see its innards.

So, your first step should be to find someone with a top key to fit it. If you know anyone with a similar phone, have them try their top key in it. Telcos tended to use the same type of top key.

The bottom may/may not be easy to get open. If you remove the four screws which hold it to the backboard, you can see if there is a coin box inside. That is what can make things difficult, that is, if there is one inside.

If not, using a long screwdriver, you can remove the four screws which hold the lock in, and let the lock drop to the bottom of the phone. Then you can open the lower door.

If there is a coin box in it, it becomes a very difficult chore, as the box will prevent access to those lock screws. Three options which will work always - drill out the tumbler of the lock, which of course destroys the lock, and you will need to get a new one, 2 - Break up the coin box from the back until you can access the lock screws, which of course destroys the coin box, 3) drill a hole through the bezel of the phone directly above the lock, and using a steel drift, drive the lock tongue back into the lock so the door can be removed (of course ruining the lock), and 4th, but seldom successful, try using a hammer drill on the lock to vibrate the screws loose (may destroy the lock).

Your best bet is if it doesn't contain a coin box.

Back to the top lock. It, too could be drilled, but as long as it is operational, you should be able to find, or borrow a key to fit it from the owner of a similar phone.

You shouldn't need a T key on a 3 slot phone.

Once you have the covers off, you could post new photos showing the insides and we can advise further.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

poplar1

If you remove the back, then the upper housing will lift right off, so you won't need a key to open the top in that case. It is probably a 10G or 10H lock; a 10G repro key will fit either one---you will need the key to lock it back, unless you leave the lock off, which may cause problems with the contacts between the back and the upper housing.

A repro 10G key is probably around $10. The top lock is more expensive--maybe $20-$25--so, I wouldn't recommend drilling it, esp. if you can get the back off.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.