News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

are there replacement faceplates for AE 80E?

Started by foots, August 20, 2009, 03:36:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paul-f

Why not just get some original sets?  I still have a few...

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=3307.0

PM or email for details.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

dsk

What about this:  

Its in this thread:  http://tinyurl.com/6xsathc

GG

A possible solution for folks who don't have color printers:

Scan a white one or a light ivory one, using a darker background material behind it that translates to a light gray when rendered in black and white (this enables you to see the exact outline of the facemat against the background).  Photoshop the result so it's a black and white picture, and turn the background gray into a half-tone gray.

Ideally do one version with the subtle horizontal lines, and one version without, since some printers can't handle them.  Ideally include a full-size ruler on the page so the actual printout can be adjusted to match precisely. 

Now this can be printed on a laser printer or other black-and-white printer, on your choice of colored paper.  The halftone background will enable you to cut it out exactly correctly.  Then you can laminate if you choose; or if not, print another one any time you need it. 

The same process can be done with a black or dark gray one, but since computer printers don't do "white," all you can do is print in black or halftone gray on white paper stock. 

IMHO the 80-Es are going to become classics at some point, so we should be thinking about preservation and restoration issues now while there are still stocks of parts such as facemats available. 

It would be a fairly easy task for a professional printer to produce these things in their original colors and in other interesting colors, even potentially on paper-thin plastic stock that could be laminated front-side only for permanence.  I have a professional printing shop in my client list so I'll ask them next time I talk with them. 

dsk

I have scanned my black plate, filtered it and got a plain black background, and white letter/numbers.
Turning this to a negative, black letters on whit background.  Colored paper may give a nice background.
For fun I made it with numbers only, and even reverse dial for NZ or Oslo.

If you want other backgrounds you could print out a picture, and print the letters in black on the top.
No need for advanced software. I have a color laserjet, its good enough to be better than the old one, but not original.

You may take a look at my labels at http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v480/dsk/Telephone/labels%20and%20signs/

Use them if you want, if you want to copy or distribute, please tell  about where you got them.

dsk

MDK

An original scan would be nice, and the ruler is a very good idea. Typically, JPG and PNG photos contain DPI (dots per inch) information which tell the print resolution. If it was scanned at 300 dpi and printed at 300 dpi, in theory, it should be identical in size. Unfortunately, Flickr and Photobucket will resize photos, paying no attention to the DPI info. The scan of the original in the post above will print out very small if printed at its marked resolution, and there's no real way to tell what its original resolution was.

What I'd like to do is recreate something in vector format that is clean and very high resolution that can be recreated in any color or negative. Retaining the original DPI is important, Flickr and Photobucket are not ideal for this. 

This is, of course, if you are cheap, and not willing to buy an original from Paul!

dsk

Quote from: MDK on May 12, 2011, 08:18:12 AM
An original scan would be nice, and the ruler is a very good idea. Typically, JPG and PNG photos contain DPI (dots per inch) information which tell the print resolution. If it was scanned at 300 dpi and printed at 300 dpi, in theory, it should be identical in size. Unfortunately, Flickr and Photobucket will resize photos, paying no attention to the DPI info. The scan of the original in the post above will print out very small if printed at its marked resolution, and there's no real way to tell what its original resolution was.

What I'd like to do is recreate something in vector format that is clean and very high resolution that can be recreated in any color or negative. Retaining the original DPI is important, Flickr and Photobucket are not ideal for this.  

This is, of course, if you are cheap, and not willing to buy an original from Paul!

In this case, I actually are really cheap, my AE80E are definitely no good one, and had a hard life before it came to retirement at my home.

I have these scans in original as JPG files, not the best, but reasonably size for email.  I have had some joy of being able to make those not to bad copies.

I would like to get hints about how to store and make share those as other may use them temporary or just as a cheap solution.

dsk

MDK

I completely understand. I am just a cheap as anyone! Send me a PM, and I'll give you an email address to which you can send the original scan. If possible, I'd prefer a scan that has not been "photoshopped" in any way.

If I need to share files bigger than allowed by forums or email, I sometimes use 4shared.com and post a link to download it.

dsk

:D Thank you MDK
I have done a new experiment. The file you made from my scan, printed on the stiffest paper I could get through  the printer, baked in plastic, and put on my phone  ;D

Frankenphone?? maybe, but I had been fooled to believe this was the right one if this was the first AE80E i ever had seen.  (actually it is, but with the original faceplate, full of scratches, and the paper behind  had been almost wet.

The scan and your brilliant photoshop work made it very good!

Thank you!

dsk

MDK

dsk

No telephone design has made me more frustrated, I "don't like it" but ....   8)???8)
It makes me some kind of creative.

dsk

dsk

I wanted it a little bit more glossy, so I laminated it:
dsk

dsk

Light colors in the picture is not that easy for a black phone.
Probably OK for a lighter colored phone.

dsk

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

dsk

I have a dugout  ;) and found my old AE80E and an old Glow-In-the-Dark Sign with some fields not filled with printing.
So I did cut out the shape of the plastic front.
Then I printed out an oldfashioned overhead sheet and cut out the text.

Her is the result, taking some photos in the bathroom because it is dark with the lights off. I had to leave the door partly open to catch the contour of the phone:

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"